Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time rat owner here. Love my two boys dearly. But...how do I keep them away from sofa? They have figured out how to jump out of their playpen no matter how high I made it. Fine. They can wander around, but now they have figured out how to get into the sofa. No matter how I block it off, they still find ways to climb into obscure holes. I've tried all these essential oils they supposedly don't like (peppermint, eucalyptus, citronella). They LOVE them! They are only 6 weeks old, I'm sure they are going to find even more places in the house since they keep getting bolder but sofa is one place totally off limits. Any advice on how to stop this? Maybe squirt with water bottle when they near sofa, stuff like that never worked with cats but maybe rats have less attitude? Also, its mainly my alpha egging his brother on, should I just concentrate on aversion training him if this is a useful method? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought SONGMICS Guinea Pig Play Pen.
I never used it in its native configuration. My girl rats immediately learned to jump over one row of tiles, so I just built a maximum two-row configuration out of tiles from the set. But it seemed very small for them, and I was not able to be inside and play with them, because the walls were too close to me and my rats used my shoulders to jump over the walls :). Then I realized I can just separate a part of my kitchen, the dining area, using the tiles. I also protected my plant. I think you can surround your sofa with this or similar set of tiles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only way to stop your rats from doing something they want to do is to block their access to it.

View attachment 302330

[AboutPetRats] has a good page on rat-proofing a space and [this website] also has some helpful tips.
The only way to stop your rats from doing something they want to do is to block their access to it.

View attachment 302330

[AboutPetRats] has a good page on rat-proofing a space and [this website] also has some helpful tips.
The Little Devil still got in. His brother was happy playing elsewhere until he was called. Maybe I should just admit defeat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts