Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!
I'm a new rat mom and have two little rat girls that are a little more than about a month and a half old.
I got a GREAT deal on a ferret cage and was told by many rat owners that this particular cage is fine for rat girls and that they could not escape.
I think that MAYBE once my girls are full-grown they will no longer be able to fit through, but right now they can (I decided to watch them in the dark one night and one girl slid out of the bars, sat on top of the cage, then slid back in). For now, we've kept them out with us durring the day and, thanks to the casters on the bottom of the cage, we wheel them into our enclosed kitchen at night and seal off all the exits and under the fridge. No escapes yet and we've had them for several weeks now. They seem to like showing off that they CAN escape if they wanted but they always stay in their cage in the end.
SO! With all that explanation, I'm looking for a way to modify the cage for now so that we don't have to go through the hassel of moving them and sealing them into the kitchen every night (it takes about 10-15 minutes.. x.x)
How would I go about this? I was thinking I could sew some wire mesh to fit like a sleeve over the cage but I don't know how I would secure the bottom so that they don't just climb in between the cage and the mesh and then sneak out the open bottom.
The cage is 24" L x 24" W x 41 1/2" H/Overall Height 46" and can be seen here: Cage
Thanks in advance for any advice. I don't think they intend on escaping, but I'd rather be safe than sorry as we have bottomless heaters that go around our entire ampartment and I'd hate to think what could happen to a little ratty if they were drawn to a dark, warm opening full of wires.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Great cage.....
for now you could get some hardware cloth and cable ties to attatch it to your cage.. easily removable afterwards.

http://www.twpinc.com/

Some pics there of the kind of thing and you can get it from DIY and garden centers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts