Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my rats has been losing some weight lately due to illness, and I was recommended to feed him avocados to promote healthy weight gain. My only question is how much should I give him everyday? And how do I prepare the avocado?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Did you really need two threads for this? Just give them small pieces from the center flesh, not from near the stone or peel. Olive oil and dairy and good sources of fat too, as well as occasional dark chocolate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed the name of my first thread to a question so that it may get noticed easier and it posted the thread twice. Chill.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Avocado is super fatty so I wouldn't do too much. It depends on how dire the situation is. If he's severely underweight then the fat issue should be pushed aside and you should get him a higher weight as soon as possible. If he's doing okay but needs some weight, I'd probably do some every other day once a day.Anyways when I feed avocado I get the parts that are not near the seed or skin. Throw it in a bowl and squish it up with a fork. Then you can give it to him on your finger, or if you have a very over excited rat like one of my girls (who bites avocado ow) then you can use a spoon or small bowl. :3I'd give about a tablespoon, but then again that depends on how bad he needs the weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts