Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard some people saying they have rat proofed their room, but I'm not sure exactly what all goes into it. Is it like keeping cords and things away from them or is it more complicated? I'm guessing it's more complicated than that, so I was wondering how I go about rat proofing my room?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Rat proofing just means having nothing the rats can escape from and nothing down that they can destroy or harm them.

And once u think it is rat proofed oh they will show u how it isn't lol

Rats will destroy anything they can. Mine have chewed wires, all the buttons off my remote, destroyed my fitbit. Definitely make sure everything is put away, picked up where they can not get to it if u value it at all.

Make sure they can't escape or get to where u can not easily get them. A favorite place is behind/in dressers. Mine would go up through the dresser and then potty & nibble on my clothing and chew on the dresser itself.

I want to point out that none of my rats would be considered big chewers inside their cages as well....

Make sure no holes are in the walls that they can slip through and that they can't slip under the door.

And nothing toxic or harmful is left down.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Some rats are inherently house proof, we've had a few like that... one that lived most of her life outside the cage and never did any damage, until my wife accidentally kicked her... that night she slashed every wire leading to my wife's desk. We've had two rats that were destructive, Fuzzy Rat and now Misty, both were/are exceptionally bright rats that get bored easily. With Fuzzy Rat after she shredded a wire I would point it out to her and tell her not to chew it again, and she wouldn't... rather she would cut a different wire the next time, but when she felt neglected she went after wires to get attention... I was listening to music with my headphones, and she snipped my cord... I was talking on the phone and it went dead. I was working on my computer and she cut the monitor cable, she intentionally went after wires that would distract me from playing with her... Wires that were't connected to things that didn't do anything or to things she liked like the air conditioner were usually left alone. When she couldn't get into the closet, she started tunneling through the carpet to get under the door.

So some rats don't need much or any rat proofing... other rats are generally destructive and beware the bored or angry rat... they will target what they don't like.

Best luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Rat proofing is basically just making sure that there is nothing obvious that they can destroy or places they can escape. Of course, like moonkissed said, they will find a way. xP

Regardless of how rat proofed your room is, I would be very cautious about letting them free range unsupervised. Rats are notorious escape artists, and most of them LOVE to chew.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the answers you three. :) I'm definitely gonna try and fix up my room for some free range time, because they are getting bored of my bed. lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts