Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen alot of videos about timing rats but they dont really work, so maybe you guys have some tips that worked for you! They always lay in the same box and dont do much except sleep, eat and drink. They hold on for life on the bars of the cage when i try to pick them up and they got very stressed when i were in the bathtub with them so i dont really know which method i should use. I dont like picking them up cause i dont like them being uncomfortable with it. What should i do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve seen alot of videos about timing rats but they dont really work, so maybe you guys have some tips that worked for you! They always lay in the same box and dont do much except sleep, eat and drink. They hold on for life on the bars of the cage when i try to pick them up and they got very stressed when i were in the bathtub with them so i dont really know which method i should use. I dont like picking them up cause i dont like them being uncomfortable with it. What should i do?
I mean taming*

·
Registered
219 Posts
The way I like doing it is with rewarding confident rats. This means if you ever see your rat being active or acting curiose give treats. If you sit by the cage and give some kind of licking treat to your ratties when they come out, it gives them a positive experience being near you and out of a box. That being said, if your rats are timid it's very helpful to find out what they are afraid of, this means your going to have to watch body language very carefully, when your rats are in different situations: Major Rat Body Language - RattyRat - JoinRats

Once you know what your rats are afraid of you can start training them to not be afraid of that specific thing, once they aren't afraid of that they become more confident overall (and a confident rat means a friendly rat mainly).

If your rat is afraid to come out of the box try to lure them out, if your rat shows any signs of being uncomfortable let it calm down before continuing, your trying to make this a positive experience. This might take awhile depending on the rat so be patient. Another thing you can do is hand feed your rats so they can associate you with food this also teaches them to keep coming back to you, if you don't want to do this, you can also scatter feed since this forces the rat to get out of hiding and be more confident.

Lastly, I wouldn't take out your rats until you know they are comfortable near you and confident enough to be out in a big space.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way I like doing it is with rewarding confident rats. This means if you ever see your rat being active or acting curiose give treats. If you sit by the cage and give some kind of licking treat to your ratties when they come out, it gives them a positive experience being near you and out of a box. That being said, if your rats are timid it's very helpful to find out what they are afraid of, this means your going to have to watch body language very carefully, when your rats are in different situations: Major Rat Body Language - RattyRat - JoinRats

Once you know what your rats are afraid of you can start training them to not be afraid of that specific thing, once they aren't afraid of that they become more confident overall (and a confident rat means a friendly rat mainly).

If your rat is afraid to come out of the box try to lure them out, if your rat shows any signs of being uncomfortable let it calm down before continuing, your trying to make this a positive experience. This might take awhile depending on the rat so be patient. Another thing you can do is hand feed your rats so they can associate you with food this also teaches them to keep coming back to you, if you don't want to do this, you can also scatter feed since this forces the rat to get out of hiding and be more confident.

Lastly, I wouldn't take out your rats until you know they are comfortable near you and confident enough to be out in a big space.
Thanks! I often feed them by hand and it’s not really big of a deal for them so that goes ok😁

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rats don't actually need so much protein like dogs and humans do, if your using oxbow or something like that you don't need much more, but giving fresh veggies everyday gives great benefits to your rat and give variety, here's a good article on some foods and their benefits: 11 Superfoods To Add To Your Rats Diet - RatCentral
I dont use oxbow we dont have it where i live but if it was here i would definitively use it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts