Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No im not so person that thinks all rats live in a sewer and carry 43 sicknesses and i am the proud owner of 2 rats( that i got today!) but what i was wondering is you know you stroke a cat and pet a dog. How do you do that to a rat? I tryed both today on my new 6 week old rats but did not seem to enjoy it. Mabye its just becausee they don't really know me?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Its best to let them settle into there new home for 24 hours and try handling after that let them sniff you first then gently pick them up handle for about 20 mins or more every day until they get used to you and get to know you more

·
Registered
527 Posts
yes, i agree with barbiie.
i've had my ratties for 10 days and they don't really like being stroked..well, they nearly fell asleep one time when i was petting their head gently but that's a rare thing! :lol:
i'm sure they'll come around eventually. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Let them get used to you. Handle them often, for about twenty minutes each or so.... They'll get used you and your scent. Carry them around with you...

Eventually you will end up with a rat that will (at least) allow petting, if not desire and return it. :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
My boys enjoying loving and snugling but it seems that they never sat still long enough until about 5 months old. I think its similar to trying to get a 2 year old child to sit still when they want to go

1 - 7 of 7 Posts