Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting this post as a new topic because it might help others as well. For new readers, my PEW Kira was spayed in Aug and isn't recovering. She weighs almost 6.5 oz and is very week and frail looking now.

Problem is, I have trouble getting her to eat and drink. Some of it might be that the vet trimmed her teeth very short and they are sore. She'll lick a few drops of water from my hand, but doesn't really use the bottle. She'll lick a little baby food chicken from my fingers (fortunately the antibiotic doesn't taste too bad cause I mix that with the baby food and usually she'll eat it). It seems like she's just so tired it's hard to get the energy to eat. This afternoon she seemed to fall asleep with her nose in the food. So now I watch her closely with the wet food so she doesn't breath it in.

Any suggestions at all? I hate forcing any food in her mouth.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Can you give her a shallow bowl for water? And try putting another bowl out with baby cereal and maybe some strawberry Ensure or Boost mixed in with it and water? Soft, tasty and getting food and liquid at the same time.

If my teeth hurt like that then I wouldn't want a hard water nozzle touching them. :(

does anyone know how long it takes for a rat's teeth to feel better after an extreme trimming?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Farewell to Kira.

Kira started to fade this evening. She stop being responsive and was gasping. We made the decision to have her put to sleep. She went peacefully, first to sleep, then away from pain with us telling her how good she was.
When we got her home again I let Dax sniff her. I had a rat guide that said that sometimes helps. I dunno. Dax just seemed confused why her sister wouldn't get up.

Thank you for all the advice and well wishes I got. I'll keep in touch about Dax and post some more pics.

My Kira-ki is in peace now. Now I have to get us all back to normal and soon think about another friend for my little Dax-girl.

·
Registered
59 Posts
im so sorry....it must have been really hard
but i think putting her down saved her from the pain..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts