Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got two boys from a breeder two weeks ago. One is a Russian Blue (Zeek) and the other is a Siamese (Nibbler). They were born about a week apart and were roughly the same size when we got them. Nibbler was slightly smaller, but not much. In the last two weeks Zeek has grown quite a bit, but Nibbler doesn't seem to have changed at all other then his points darkening up. He's pretty tiny. Like fit in the palm of your hand tiny. The breeder said that the bloodline Nibbler came from has several dwarfs in it, so it's possible he could turn out to be one. At what age would we know for sure that he's a dwarf? And if he is a dwarf are there any inherent health issues associated with it that we need to be aware of?

·
Registered
322 Posts
You can tell at about 2-3 weeks of age, when I brought my dwarf girl home (at about six weeks) the differences between her and her sister were stunning. I usually tell people that once you see a dwarf you will never mistake it with a rat that has stunted growth. A picture would really help :)

This is Wander (my dwarf) next to one of her siblings. Can you spot the dwarf?

This is Wander and Marina, they are the same age.

This is Wander and Osmics. (Wander was not yet fully grown in this picture)

Dwarfs grow much slower then standard rats. It all depends on the breeding but they live just as long and shouldn't have any health issues because of their size. Sorry for the picture dump, I just wanted to give you a lot of comparisons.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a picture of Nibbler, according to the breeder he's now 10 weeks old. Does he look about the right size? He seems much smaller then Zeek who is only a week older, but I know they vary in size.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts

She is 15 weeks old. I definitely don't think he is a dwarf, he may just be naturally smaller. He is a cutie :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's growing, albeit slower then Zeek. The breeder said he came from a family of small rats so he probably wont get as big as the other boys.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My newest girl, Lovelace, is just naturally smaller. She looks very small next to my older girls! It's amazing how much they can vary (she is pretty much full grown!) I'm glad to hear he is growing, even if slowly :3 Maybe Zeek is just a beast, trying to show poor Nibbler (Futurama!?) up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts