Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a townhouse, so a good scrub down involves me lugging everything upstairs to the bathroom to dismantle it in the tub and wash it. So obviously that's not an every day thing (or, if I'm to be frank, an every week thing - More like once a month). I see a lot of people talking about using vinegar and water - White distilled vinegar? Apple cider? What's the ratio? Spray on and scrub or just rinse?

I usually use the bleach wipes and then go behind it with a wet cloth to "rinse it." What's your method for your quick, once/twice a week (or however often you do it) cleaning?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
All I have is a walk-in shower, so I'm in the same boat. Everything has to be taken outside to be sprayed down with a hose and scrubbed. I don't really like using the bleach wipes because it seems to exacerbate the urine smell (or at least to my nose it does); I only use bleach if there's been an illness in any of my rats and once a month when everything is apart for the big cleaning. I use white distilled vinegar at a 1:3 ratio; vinegar to water. I spray everything and let it sit for about 10 minutes then wipe it off. If there's any strong residual vinegar smell I'll wipe with a wet cloth afterwards. If you happen to be using a cage like the critter/ferret nation, you may want to take a toothbrush to the areas where there's a gap between the bars and the frame.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wipe down our DCN with unscented baby wipes about twice a week. I have had it for about a month and haven't noticed any lingering smells. The cage is in my bedroom so I would absolutely notice it. Seems to keep everything in check so far. Every two weeks I give the plastic shelves a good spray down with Natures Miracle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kksrats - I don't even have a hose! I wish I did. There's not even a connection outside for one. It kills me. Daisy - Natures Miracle is the best stuff. I loved it when we had ferrets, it got the poop out of the carpets like crazy while we were litter training. I hadn't thought about it for the cages though! I don't know why it had never occurred to me, but I'm glad you brought it up!

·
Registered
863 Posts
My quick clean involves chaning the litter box, changing the level coverings, changing out all the pee-smelling hammocks, and wiping down all the bars with a rag that has been sprayed with vinegar and water. Then I put new level coverings and add some clean nest boxes, etc. and voila! Clean ratties in 15 minutes :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
My quick cleaning involves me taking an unscented baby wipe and wiping the bottom of their cage and changing the Eco bedding. Scooping up the poop in their litter box and putting fresh litter in and finally, I use a de linter roll and roll it over the fleece to clean up any stray hairs that have shed off them or crumbs from their food etc.

Then every week or week and a half I take the bottom part out of their cage and clean it with baby shampoo and let it sit in hot water and vinegar for about 15 minutes after its rinsed.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I do a complete clean once a week woth Dawn soap and water. I do a quick clean four days after I do a complete clean. This usually involves vaccuming up crumbs on the cage liners, changing the litter boxes, and wiping down the tiles. I also change out the water bowl if it needs changing that morning, and I change out the water in the gravity waterer. =P

·
Registered
601 Posts
Nature's Miracle cleaner is seriously the best thing I've used so far. I like the wipes because they're convenient, but they're pricey. The spray works just as well with paper towels or a rag. I have used unscented baby wipes on occasion but they don't get rid of smells the way the NM cleaner does. With vinegar I do a 50/50 mix with water and use it in a spray bottle. I spray everything down in the tub and let it soak for a bit, then rinse with water. I don't think it matters which type of vinegar you use.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I love white vinegar + water. I really just pour some vinegar in and it's usually about 1/4th vinegar to 3/4ths water or a bit more water. But this is for my normal cleaning. I am lucky to have a tub and it's easy to get to from the cage. Also I have a DCN which I think can be a lot easier to clean than some other cages. For cleaning the cage (the pans i take out and wash, but the cage itself never can be hosed down, live in apartment) I just take a sponge and the vinegar water and wipe down all of the bars and it works well. I also have a tiny vacuum that is good for vacuuming up poops haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts