Rat Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
On topic.... then... to the OP, Unless you happen to be flush with lots of money that has nowhere else to be, and don't mind the risks involved, I wouldn't recommend air shipping in a friend or two for your rat. He does need a friend ASAP though. If you prefer a hobby pet rat breeder or rescue and can't find one then rescue one from a store or a local reptile owner that breeds rats for his snakes... Like it or not, where there are snakes, there are rats... somewhere. Reptile owners that breed their own rats don't advertise, but they sometimes have an extra rat or two they will part with for a price. Try and adopt a young rat and handle it to make sure it hasn't been screwed up by neglect or mistreatment and observe it a while to make sure it is overall healthy.

If you feel it's a moral or ethical issue, that's up to you... but no one should criticize you for doing what you feel is right for you and your rat And right now, getting your rat a friend is the very best thing you can do.

Best luck.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Gotchea,

Inspired by our own part wild rat and Wilder, when the store that supplied my whole area of the state with rats closed, I was seriously considering calling exterminators to see if I could get a pup from a nest they might come across... Then I got lucky and found an easier option...

I looked high and low for a brown eyed rat pup for a few months, I even tried Craig's list.. believe me, I know how hard it can be to find the right rat sometimes... Three months without a friend was very hard on Max, she was always a bit squirrely in the head and on the reclusive side, but even after she accepted Cloud as her friend she pretty much stayed a hermit the rest of her life. Fuzzy rat was fine as an only rat because she was raised by humans and loved humans, I don't think she ever realized she was a rat, but most rats need rat friends.

So yes by all means... the OP should check the barn!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I need another rat. I got my first rat from a chain-pet store* a few months ago, and I returned this evening to discover that nobody in my town still sells rats anymore. I've looked for other places to get a rat and literally all the breeders I can find are on the other side of the state or farther. I can't even find any animal shelter rats.

A couple of sites had mention of shipping. How does that work? I don't want to come home and pull a shoebox out of the mail with my rat inside. I can't imagine that's how they actually do it, especially without putting holes in the lid first, but I have no Idea how it would otherwise be done. Also, Is it expensive? More expensive than a long drive?

I live in Eastern WA, and everything I can find is in and around Seattle, because, it seems, Seattle is all there really is to Washington. If there are any other rat people in the PNW, where did you get yours? what do you recommend?
You can check Citizenshipper pet shipping service also. I am saying this because i tried them once and i have positive experience with them.
They ship my rat safely and they didn't charge much. Over all i liked there service.

I also agree that wherever someone adopted their rats from, they shouldn't be demonized or judged for their choices. As rat owners and lovers we need to educate and accept other rat lovers, not berate or ostracize them.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts