Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well, it looks big enough for a pair of rats (rats do best in pairs, please consider a same sex pair, not a single lonely rat), though I haven't entered the dimensions into the calculator (there's a sticky at the top of the Homes forum. :) ) It may be a bit difficult to clean, though...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. I have read up on rats and will be buying two females. I want to get a good cage for a reasonable price that has enough room for two females.

I have a 20 gallon aquarium, but from what I've read thats a bad idea for rats due to ventilation. Do you think my aquarium would suit my rats for a month or two until I can purchase a nice wire cage for them.

Also what are your opinions on cage toppers, because I would love to just purchase a wire topper for my aquarium which would give my rats plenty of room to run and play.

I am looking at this topper for my cage, I have a 20 gallon long tank which is 30 inches wide, 12 inches high, and 12 inches deep. I will be putting this topper on the cage.

http://www.sofunpetproducts.com/catalog/item/3408220/3020322.htm#image_1

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Toppers do not help with the inherent problems of tanks- poor ventilation, mainly. They're just not healthy for rats any way you size it. Also 12 inches isn't really deep enough for the long term, some boys can get 10 inches long, so there just isn't enough room for them to turn around! I know you'll be getting girls, but it's still too small.

What's your cage price range?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That cage is pretty new to the market, I think, but it certainly looks like it's a good one! PetSmart has free shipping on anything over $50, so it would actually be only $99, which could be worse. Although you could almost get a Ferret Nation for that... I digress.

Have you checked Craigslist or Kajiji? What area are you in? I just saw some lovely cages in both Hawaii and Portland (I'm kind of a junkie, it's sad, I know). Be sure to search for "cage" in the general search, too, not just the pet section, that's where most of the good stuff is, anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would I be able to get away with buying a smaller wire cage for cheap right now with 2 smaller rats and then upgrading as they grow?

Because there are cages out there for like 30$ that are big enough for 2 young females and then in the near future I could upgrade them to a really nice big martins cage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think that if you're up for buying a second cage when your rats grow out of their first one then go for it!

In the long run it might be a bit more expensive, but it's a good option if you've got to save up. That way you might be able to get an even nicer one then you would if you went with a big one from the start - and it's always good to have a spare.

Are you in a big hurry to get your rats?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts