Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know exacly when she got knocked up, but I was guessing at her due date being this weekend or early next week. Now I'm not so sure, she's not as massive as others I've seen. She's alao not nesting? So I'm gonna ask you guys, am I wrong or sorta right? The picture sucks, as she's a nutcase, so if you need another just ask.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It's really difficult to say since not all pregnancies are the same and the growth really depends on the number of pups (I've had a girl not even show and then surprise! two pups). To me it looks like she probably couldn't go more than another week, likely less.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Second that. Looks like about a week out?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just want her to hurry up uuughhh I want to see my little jellybean grandratties! I've got homes lined up for three boys and three girls so far.. As of today she's gigantic and no longer want me to touch her. So hopefully soon?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Probably soon if you're noticing behavior changes. An indicator that I always used was when they start sleeping with their front half propped against the side of the cage or on their side it's getting close to time (maybe one or two days). Probably not the best indicator as some rats don't get very large and aren't as uncomfortable, but it's just a trend I noticed.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yaaayyyy she started shoving her face halfway up the cage like a nerd to sleep last night! (I'm sorry that I'm so happy about your discomfort Pippa) but she won't nest? Like it's making me nervous.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Don't fret. Some build for days, some build an hour before, I've even seen one not build a nest at all lol. All depends on the rat (and possibly what you're offering as nest material).

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just want the babies to be safe. She's got paper towel, toilet paper, shredded paper, shredded aspen, paper pellets and fleece scraps in her little house. I'm so scared that she wont be a good mum.

·
Registered
365 Posts
She's going to be great! Instinct is a powerful thing.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Omg GUYS I FELT THE BABIES MOVE ON MY HAND WHEN I WAS HOLDING HER!! I felt them! My little grandratties, they nudged me! I got a nugget nudge!

Also her nest is... just all of the bedding shoved away and on the bare plastic. Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Omg GUYS I FELT THE BABIES MOVE ON MY HAND WHEN I WAS HOLDING HER!! I felt them! My little grandratties, they nudged me! I got a nugget nudge!

Also her nest is... just all of the bedding shoved away and on the bare plastic. Should I be concerned?
Nah, it's actually probably better for first birthing since they can get paper and such stuck to them. I'd try to move them onto the bedding after she's done birthing though if she doesn't do it herself. If they're home is on the floor and you have hardwood or tile flooring I'd place a towel underneath the bin/cage since bare floors can be rather cold.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pippa had her babies! Five boys and seven girls! All healthy and happy, some had a bit of paper stuck to them so I got it off, she wasn't nursing the ones with paper stuck to them for some reason.. hopefully she will now. What do I do if she doesnt?

Also, there are two or three babies who's eyes aren't showing up, but that doesnt rule out any fathers because my black berk Russel has a dilute brother, and Pippa has an albino brother and a blue father..

Can't post pics, I'm at my limit and my Ipad'd dead :(

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yaaay! Congrats!

Glad she's okay!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts