Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How I take care of my 4 rats! (3 girls, 1 boy)
-Cage is a double critter nation with deeper pans to fit more bedding (scatter guards work too!)
-Bedding is kiln-dried pine currently
-Food is Oxbow adult rat, 15-20g per rat per day, scattered around the cage (no food bowl)
-Two waterbottles
-Lots of hammocks, hides, baskets, and fall breakers
-If rats are aggressive, too sick, or unable to go to the vet, they are put to sleep (only when needed)
-Rats are freeroamed as often as possible, and are given things like in-shell walnuts for enrichment
-Bedding is changed weekly
-Rats are socialized and are super sweet!
-If I could do it over, I would only get rats from a reputable breeder (which there aren't that many of) to ensure they aren't aggressive and that they have minimal health problems
-They're given lots of treats! (not necessary for diet but definitely fun- Oxbow is nutritionally complete)

Registered
Twig and Sprig 馃挄
How I take care of my 4 rats! (3 girls, 1 boy)
-Cage is a double critter nation with deeper pans to fit more bedding (scatter guards work too!)
-Bedding is kiln-dried pine currently
-Food is Oxbow adult rat, 15-20g per rat per day, scattered around the cage (no food bowl)
-Two waterbottles
-Lots of hammocks, hides, baskets, and fall breakers
-If rats are aggressive, too sick, or unable to go to the vet, they are put to sleep (only when needed)
-Rats are freeroamed as often as possible, and are given things like in-shell walnuts for enrichment
-Bedding is changed weekly
-Rats are socialized and are super sweet!
-If I could do it over, I would only get rats from a reputable breeder (which there aren't that many of) to ensure they aren't aggressive and that they have minimal health problems
-They're given lots of treats! (not necessary for diet but definitely fun- Oxbow is nutritionally complete)
Your care sounds perfect! Before you euthanize a rat, do some research on home remedies if your unable to visit a vet. The only other thing I鈥檇 say is to add a water bowl! :)

Registered
Twig and Sprig 馃挄
thank you!! I've tried a water bowl but it didn't turn out how I expected- this is what happened every time it got dry View attachment 310335
Haha! I鈥檒l send you a link to the one I use! 馃挍

kathson Crate Dog Bowl, Removable Stainless Steel Hanging Pet Cage Bowl Food & Water Feeder Coop Cup for Cat, Puppy, Birds, Rats, Guinea Pigs 2pcs(Blue,Green) https://a.co/d/fGWI2DU

Registered
PEW, hooded, & berkshire feeders
I'm no expert and I couldn't find any legitimate studies or articles with actual sources but I would suggest doing your own extensive research on pine? There's definitely a lot of talk on it about being toxic.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm no expert and I couldn't find any legitimate studies or articles with actual sources but I would suggest doing your own extensive research on pine? There's definitely a lot of talk on it about being toxic.
I have done research!! the thing about pine being toxic is an old myth, it's toxic when not kiln-dried. however, all pine beddings sold for pets are required to be kiln-dried, which removes all of the dangerous chemicals/phenols. so pine is just as safe as aspen!! I've switched back to aspen though since it turns out I'm allergic to pine

Registered
PEW, hooded, & berkshire feeders
I have done research!! the thing about pine being toxic is an old myth, it's toxic when not kiln-dried. however, all pine beddings sold for pets are required to be kiln-dried, which removes all of the dangerous chemicals/phenols. so pine is just as safe as aspen!! I've switched back to aspen though since it turns out I'm allergic to pine
Oh, I'm glad to hear that! It's difficult sometimes to get accurate information in the rattie community.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts