Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I lost one of my rattie boys yesterday. Now his brother is all alone, and I was wondering how long I should wait to get him a new friend? The soonest I can do this is around Christmas, when I should have the money to do so, and have the vet check and all those things. I just want what is best for him right now. :?

·
Registered
71 Posts
When Casanova died Sam was alone for about 2 1/2 months before I could get Baz and Deo in the cage with him. At the end of that time I started noticing neurotic tendencies such as compulsively organizing his food, and putting his paw on the water bottle spout and draining all the water into his cage. Thankfully he snapped back to normal the second he was introduced to his new brothers.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If he died of something that may be contagious, it's best to wait 3-4 weeks... a sort of "quarantine" for your now-lone boy.

Otherwise? The sooner, the better. Rats do mourn, but they also move on (most of the time) when they meet new friends. Just like us. :) Since they need friends, they'll seek comfort from a new one (once the intros are over, and everyone is happy!).

In the meantime, watch for loneliness and depression. If you do decide Christmas, I think he will be okay with lots of TLC.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright. No it wasn't anything contagious. It was a tumor I didn't spot in time. I think it was pressing up against his heart. I'm hoping that I can find a adopt a neutered female for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts