Rat Forum banner

How many days before your liners get smelly enough to change?

• 1 - 2

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 - 4

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 - 6

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 7+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how long on average it takes everyones' liners to get stinky. I just put my group into their DCN on Saturday... Saturday and Sunday no smell, today BIG smell lol. It may be just because they are new to the cage, but I was hoping for a little more smell-free time than 2 days. :eek:

I will give them another week or so and see how things go, but if they continue to get extremely smelly by day 3, I may have to go back to bedding and order bass pans lol.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Do you have boys or girls and how many? Using multiple litter pans with aspen and baking soda has helped me; I also keep pee rocks in all the litter pans. If you notice that they pee or poop in a specific spot, put a litter pan there. Also, if they just absolutely must pee on the fleece (because some of them are just silly like that), keep some piles of fleece scraps around the cage and replace them every couple of days rather than the whole setup. You can also use some all natural odor remover (likely in the ferret section of the pet store) to make the liners last a couple more days. It's kind of just a matter of figuring out what works best for you and your rats. I tried going back to aspen bedding for my boys, but in a DFN it's just not really practical because of the position of my cage since I can't open up the doors all the way.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
two in each section of the DCN. Girls. I have 1 layer of fleece and 1 layer of uhaul pad underneath. They have 2 litterboxes on each level, but I can probably add a third.

Thanks for the input guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.