Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all rats are different just as all humans are different; but i was wondering how long it took for your rat to get used to you and start to explore and just be a rat??? Its only been 3 days for my two but they are also babies. They seem scared and really unsure of everything. So maybe a week or two?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
See if you can power through the squeaking, as long as you feel that they most definitely are comfortable with you (give it at least a week or two).

My girls are very unused to being picked up because I'm allergic to their little nails, so I don't pick them up very often. But recently I decided enough was enough, and they'd learn that being picked up wasn't so bad. So I just picked them up, gave them a quick kiss, and set them down, praising them and giving them treats like a madwoman. Belgie squeaked like I was torturing her for the first many times, and just now she's learning to be calm, that I'm not going to hurt her. It all takes patience, just like everything else with these little guys.

·
Registered
119 Posts
it took my boys quite a while... about a month or so. remi is still a little jumpy, but gus will happily crawl right onto my hand

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't totally follow the book, and I gave mine like 15 minutes, and I got them so used to me by the next day they were dying to see me, and I only got them the day after Christmas and it's Jan. 24 here in MN. So they're very new, but they seem very....... Unknew.... Does that word work? LOL!

Well there you have it, took me 15 minutes and they were about at the end of two months old or the beggining of three.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The pet store socialized my girls, surprisingly enough, so they were already used to people by the time I brought them home. Gohma prefers not to be held, but other than that she's just as outgoing and friendly as Dust (who doesn't mind being held). For me it didn't take long at all.. About 3 days and they had already bonded to me... But it wouldn't be so easy if the pet store employees hadn't worked with them at all.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have had 8 diffrent rats and each has had thier own amount of time length to get used to me For my first girl it was three days and with my latest, I've had them for over a month and although they have made great strides, they are still a bit jumpy. It all depends on the rat and like you said, patience.

·
Registered
184 Posts
well, i worked at a pet shop where i got my 1st 2, and i was the 1 to take care of them, so they already knew my smell, so it didnt take them anytime, Juranamo, my "middle rattie" took about a week, and my 2 new guys are already content, and situated with thier new owners (my gf claimed assassin) and theyve been here 3 days

1 - 9 of 9 Posts