Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

i had to put down one of my rats today because of a pituitary tumor and now i only have a 4 month old male. he is getting neutered next week and will probably need another week or so to heal from the surgery. i'm in the process of talking to breeders about possibly getting 2 new girls.

i really don't want to have my remaining rat to be all alone but unfortunately i don't really have a choice.

i just feel really guilty because i know they need friends. how much time can he spend by himself? should i try to get new friends asap or wait until he heals?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
It will depend on the rat. Yes, rats are social animals but if you spend lots of time with him he should be ok. I have a neutered male I wanted to introduce to my intact females but after my best efforts, it just didn't happen. My females wouldn't stop attacking him viciously, they are total love bugs with me though. I got all my rats from the same breeder. I will get two more males in a few weeks as friends for him. Long story short, he has been alone for months now, but he is doing fine because I spend time with him. No signs of being depressed whatsoever. So if your rat is alone for a few weeks, I'm 100% confident that he will be fine:)I will wait for him to heal completely before any intro. You need to wait 3 weeks anyway to make sure he is not fertile anymore. You are right to get him new friends from a breeder as opposed to a pet store where rats are much more likely to be sick or have behavioral issues.

I feel guilty too about my male rat being alone, but it will be for the best at the end when he will get two healthy well socialized best friends:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts