Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was baking today and I didn't use all of my mini semi-sweet chocolate chips. I have maybe a 1/4 of a bag sitting in my freezer, and I read rats can have these as occasional treats.

These are tiny little chips, like maybe 1/3-1/4 of the size of a regular chocolate chip. (Nestle's tollhouse mini semi-sweet chocolate chips for your reference) How many can I give them at one time, and can I give them chocolate once a week? A few times a week? Every day? I'm thinking of saving them as an occasional extra-special treat. I gave them one chip each today and they really seemed to enjoy them :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,580 Posts
One at a time, and not daily. While it takes a LOT of chocolate to cause problems, chocolate chips are still fatty and sugary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
I would cut that back to about once a week if not twice a month. Like Caged said they are pretty sugary and can make your rats fat which can lead to diabetes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think once a week sounds pretty good, they're pretty small and I can tell they REALLY liked it, they ate it in about 2 seconds flat lol! Thanks for the info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
Of course they like it :) Death by chocolate is how Dean chose to live his short life. He would dive bomb my chocolate icecream or try to pry open my mouth if I had any candy bars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Oh boy. :(
Mine get about 4 a day as it's the only way to get them back in their cages.They're not fat but I know it's not good for them. They live for them though.
I do follow them up with dried wild blueberries. Nothing like a chocolate and fruit fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They must feel the same way as Dean did, I ate some chocolate and I washed my hands but they must still be able to smell it because I went to play with them right after and they spent a long time licking my fingers and tried to lick my mouth lol :) I am not big on being licked on my face, I don't even let my dogs do it very much so I just moved my head and gave them some cheerios instead.

I'll have to try giving it to them with fruit, I can already hear my boyfriend grumbling about my spoiled rotten pets :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
lol My husband is the exact opposite. I have to take the treats from him so they dont get huge. he would feed Dean 12 treats a day XD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol that's funny, I have to remind myself all the time to take it easy on the treats. Actually the first week I had her Dahlia was a chunky monkey. She's lost a bit of weight and looks much better now, thanks to her favorite wheel :)
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top