Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered our DCN! Yay!!! I know there are a LOT of people on this forum who own this cage for their fur babies, so I'm curious how many rats would be ok in it. I'm planning on keeping females & males separately on each level? We currently have 2 females & 1 male, but we're hoping to make it 3 & 3. Do you think this would work?Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
3 & 3 would work fine. I would say it holds 8 comfortably, 4 on each level.... Maybe 5 smaller girls if u used the space very well.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
12 altogether! depending on size I did have five on one level three girls and two boys and I think that was the max for one level then because of their sizes.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've housed a group of 6 girls in half of a DCN before and it was plenty of room.. But I had a lot of hanging hammocks, ropes, etc. So they all had plenty of hiding spots. Males are larger, so I'd say maybe 4 males in half of a DCN.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'll agree with others that say it depends on your fur kids. I have 7 girls in a full dcn and I have 8 boys in a cage of the same size.

The girls are far more active and use everything in the cage. But they could easily all do fine in one half of it if they were less active (like when they got older-the 3 older girls would probably not care that much). They all get along wonderfully and need their wheel.

My boys, although not nearly as active need a large space because they are really particular about who gets what sleep spot and which space is community sleep zones. Clean up day here is a pita, cause everyone gets cranky trying to figure out which place is theirs and which is community. so they need a cage that has plenty of room for 8 separate sleeping quarters and a couple community sleeping spaces, which will always require a large cage.

It also depends on how much time outside your mischief gets. the less out time, the bigger the cage requirement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts