Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know small amounts of chocolate over 70% can help with URI stuff. How much should be given? What about with raw honey, how much of that should be given daily?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It doesnt help fix the URI as such, but it can help ease heavy breathing if the rat is gasping or flank breathing. Then i would feed them a few tiny peices (kind of 1/4 a normal sized chocolate button) and get them to the vet. Steaming can also help in this situation. If your rat is just sneezing a bit then dont bother as it wont help.

Honey wise its unlikley that honey going through the digestive tract would be potent enough to act as an antibacterial once digested. She'd be better off on real antibioitics from the vet. Honey is better for open wounds or similar and just apply a bit straight onto the wound.

If shes just a bit sneezy and off colour and is on antibiotics from the vets then the best herbal type thing you can give is probably echancia (immune system booster) and a probiotic (live yoghurt). These are far mroe effective in supporting the rat through URI's.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay! Those were just things I'd seen mentioned about the forum and wanted a bit more info on. I'm an over-preparer and like to know as much in advance of something happening as humanly possible just in case some weird scenario comes up.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I can be like that, i'd recommend getting some echanacia in if you can and you can get probioitic powders in too which keep better than yoghurt. A tin or two of baby food is a good emergency back up too. In fact i think there was a thread a while ago about what to keep in a first aid kit that might be worth looking into if you like being prepared

·
Registered
953 Posts
I haven't heard so much as a sneeze from my girls. But now with so many I keep worrying. I mean Respiratory issues seem so common I keep thinking I can't be that lucky. I actually grow Enchanacia-for medicinal and it's pretty :)

This is a question for Isamurat-or anyone else who may know :). I have been making a little dried herb salad in a small bowl my bubs seem to like. I've been adding oregano, thyme, and parsley. Smells wonderful and I believe those support lungs/respiratory stuff. They have a lot of other nutrients as well. Do you think keeping it separate from my mix is a good idea? I was thinking of adding herbs to their food mix, but because some of the herbs are so aromatic I wondered if it may put some of them off.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I add dried herbs to my food mix as a matter of course. I do vary it a fair bit and its a mixture of dried veg and herb type plants but it is an important part of my mix (dried veg and herbs makes up 10% of my dry mix, of which 5% i loosly class as herbs), i do use a lot of stuff like dandilion and plantain as the bulk of my herbs but theres a fair amount of mint, echanacia, parsley, basil etc.

When i feed fresh or frozen veg i also give herbs regularly, again they arent the bulk fo the mix but they add flavour, interest and possibly some benefits. I'm not a great believer that herbal medicine fixing everything but i do think theres probably something in most herbal rememdys and they generally cant hurt (unless there toxic to humans or full of d-limoenes). If your using proper herbal rememdys (more potent stuff) rather than just feeding some possibly helpful herbs then make sure you mention it to your vet if they get any other medication.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Thank you Isamurat. I use mostly just the natural form of herbal stuff. Occasionally adding a more potent one for a specific cause. Such as echanicea in conjunction with antibiotics, as well as probiotics. I probably won't whip up something with pau'darco or any of the more scary remedies any time soon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll see if I can't track down that first-aid thread. I wish it was possible to have some antibiotics on hand all the time in case of an emergency, but I can understand why prescriptions are needed. It's just frustrating when you know exactly what to do but you still have to go in!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
My vets in the past will give me extra Abs to have in just in case, it took a bit to get to that level of trust but they are fine with it now. If your in the US though there are some antibiotics you can order online without a perscription. Thats not likley in the UK or Europe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts