Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello; Can someone tell me about how much dog kibble I should be giving to my rats? They are getting fresh veggies,whole grain pasta,and rat block. Do I just free feed them or should I be limiting the dog food? I am using Nutro dog kibble that has 14 % protein. Thanks Cindy

·
Registered
212 Posts
14% might be a little high...you need ot make sure you have the percentages of the other ingredients right too, to be able to gague how much dog kibble.

What are you basing your mix on?

The SueBee mix is a good diet used by a lot of rat owners in the US.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually i just purchased three bags of Mazuri Rat and Mouse diet. I noticed on the bag that it has 23% crude protein. That seems high after what I have been reading on this forum. Maybe I dont need the dog food at all If I use this Mazuri??

I did also make my own mix that I found on a website. It consists of rice chex, puffed wheat, rolled oats, a bit of dried fruit, dried whole grain pasta, and cheerios.

I have way TOO many rat foods now as I just got so confused as to what would be best. Now I also just got this bag of Natural Choice small bits lite by Nutro.

I feed peas, Romain lettuce, green beans, tomatoes, and any other veggie I happen to be preparing that night. So they basically get veggies of some sort every day. A bit of fruit, but they dont seem to care for fruits very much.

So..... I am not basing the diet on any one formula. I am just new to owning rats, so I am trying to figure out what would be the healthiest feed all around for them all.

Pipe in anyone that can guide me better on this food issue. I would rather make my own mixes than purchase foods online any more. I just think it would be cheaper and healthier. Maybe I am wrong? Thanks all. 8)

·
Registered
367 Posts
14% to 18% protein is considered the average diet for the Grown Rat. If your feeding 23% and its say half the food, with the other half low protein veggies and fruit it'll even out. Most people feed a lower protein block or mix say 80% of the time and small amounts of veggies and bits of animal protein.
Its all confusing, I just feed a good mix of grain flakes,dried cooked beans,some seeds and a little mix of veggies each night, meat once and a while and they seem pretty healthy.
Theres plenty websites, google search Best Rat Diet and your assured of good reading for the next year.
Spider

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
14 % protein is the amount in HT 2014. That shouldn't be a problem. But like they said, everything else is the issue. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i'd say if you're feeding mazuri you shouldn't need to feed dog food. also, my girls don't like mazuri blocks and will only eat like one or two a day if i don't feed them anything else. nothing else they get has protein in it, so considering the high protein content, i figure that with everything else they eat, it all evens out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone. I am noticing my girls are not too thrilled with the Mazuri. I don't know what I was thinking getting 3 bags! They had free shipping , thats why. In my mind, just learning about rats and all, I just assumed a rat would eat anything. Pfttttt.. yeah right! They have their likes and dislikes just like us I guess. lol...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts