Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question one
I can't remember if I already posted this, but my rats are around four months old now...I feed them once or twice a day with this food that has dried broccoli and other yummy food I can't remember the brand name though...I have a little hamster feeding dish (because they always knocked down the one the cage came with) I fill it right up once or twice a day but they always go CRAZY for food in the morning. Is this normal? I mean crazy! They bite the dish and pull it faster then I'm moving into their cage. (adorable <3) Should I be feeding them more and what do I feed them, is just this food enough? I give them almonds (not salted) as treats sometimes and when we run out of food for a while I give them broccoli, cranberries (dried), crackers, carrots and lots of that kind of stuff.

Question Two
I have one hamster (other one was given away D= ) a small schnoodle (dog) and my two rats. I'm pretty sure hamster+rat would be VERY BAD. But is it possible to have my rats and dog get along? I've held the rats around Twister (dog =D ) but once I let them run around with him and Peep bit Twister on the nose! I'm sure she was just nervous but now poor Twister is scared of the rats. :(

·
Registered
421 Posts
Re: How much food, how often? + Introducing rats to other pe

I have a dry mix + lab blocks in a bowl at all times. The bowl gets cleaned and refilled every night. They get one MAIN meal at dinner time and than depending on what ive made for breakfast and lunch they may get something healthy then also.
I know some ppl have pets that all get along for the most part but I would not push the issue since something can happen in the blink of eye. Especially if there has already been some aggressive behaviors in the past. To me its just not worth taking the risk. Just my opinion though.
:)

·
Registered
981 Posts

In response to question one:

If your food is a brand name it probably isn't good for them. Have you considered Suebee's Mix?

I try to make sure my rats always have food available. That means a couple times a day I will search the cage for any food that is hidden (Oh and they are good at hiding) and if I don't find any or find just a little bit I'll feed them a bowl full. They go nuts even when they have a big stash, though, so I don't think that is odd behavior.

In response to question two:

I agree with Berks. Your dog could be playing but it could end up killing your rats. Generally I don't recommend a rat mixing with any other animal.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Re. Question 2

I have a golden retriever who goes potty for my rats - she absolutely loves them and lets them crawl all over her. She's very good at playing with them, she'll 'play box' with them and before I've noticed her stand up with a brand new rat earring. She'll even sit guard at the living room door incase any of the rats go to run out the room and she'll play chase them back in - BUT, given the predatorial nature of dogs, I would never allow them near her unsupervised, and I'd reccommend anyone, even with the best natured animal, to do the same. It'll only take one snap or grumble for either party and that'll be that, it'll be tears all round

Saying that though, it doesn't mean they can't play. Just introduce carefully, and keep those eyes open at all times :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

Get yourself some quality lab blocks, what you are feeding is nowhere near what rats need for proper nutrition.

With your dog (schnauzer/poodle cross) you may have a serious problem unlike Rations dog a Golden, who generally are bred to be incredibly soft and passive. Although my mom's Golden kills small animals, so you cannot even guarantee that. I would advise not allowing them to meet. There are too many stories of a dog getting bitten and retaliating by a big bite....rat dead. Its just not worth the chance.

·
Registered
722 Posts

I typically feed my rats once a day, and then they get treats (fruit, veggies, and other healthy stuff) throughout the day. And as for the dog, I've heard of rats and dogs getting along, but everyone else seems to be right on this- it can go wrong pretty quickly. I worry about letting my rats around my roommate's bunny!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

I guess I just have a good dog then o_O

This is Aiden on the night he died, I allowed him on the floor for a little 'flop around' and he crawled over to fudge and lay with her for two or so hours (by choice might I add, I moved him a couple of times and he kept going back) Fudge didn't move either. She cleaned him and nursed him - even when he got to the confused bitey stage and took a nibble from her, she didn't bat an eyelid, just licked him a little more as if to say 'come on honey, none of that'. They were best of friends though, I doubt she would have tolerated any of my rats now in the same way.

EDIT: Saying that though, she tries to attack hedgehogs while she's being walked just because they're in her way. How she lets the rats crawl over her run her in circles like they do, I don't know. Maybe she sees them as part of the family

·
Registered
47 Posts

So I must know, what do you all think of the Oxbow Regal Rat mix. This is the feed my exotics vet recommended and sold to me. He actually recommended it over Harrisons (don't know why).

As to the questions
1., I agree, get them on a good lab block or Harrison's Bird Food or Regal Rat by Oxbow. Much higher quality. Often, people mix in a bit of senior or lite dog food as well (super premium brands only, the rest are full of poisonous garbage).

Personally, I keep my rats bowl full at all times. They get their serving of dog food at night, and later (before bed) they get their "dinner" which is usually veggies, yogurt or baby food.

2. I also have a dog (a shar pei) who has basically been trained since birth to respect small animals. Our rats are only free rangers in one room, and the dog lays right down on the floor with them. We ALWAYS supervise. I do agree that the schnauzer/poodle mix might be tougher, as schnauzer are great ratters. In all honesty, breed really isn't indicative of prey drive anyway, as they are all subspecies of wolf and I have yet to see a dog that won't kill a wild mouse/rat (even my boy....how does he know they are WILD?!!!)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

madeittothemoon said:
Ration, that picture is ADORABLE!
:) I have a video of Fudge cleaning him that night too, she's such a good dog with the rats

·
Registered
520 Posts

My dog (Arthur, Doxie-X) is really lovey with the rats, but Homer (German Shepherd-X) is not.

I think it depends on the dog. But, I agree with whoever said...

You are taking a risk either way. Is it worth it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts