Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to get three male baby rats from a breeder in a few months and I'm trying to work out how much money I'll need to spend on their food. I'll be feeding them Oxbow's mouse and young rat food at first, then eventually switching over to Oxbow Regal Rat when they're older. Does anyone happen to have an estimate about how much food they would go through per month? These will be my first rats so I don't really have any experience to go by.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I would advise perhaps just starting with adult oxbow and supplementing with alittle extra protein- eggs, chicken.
The young formula is not as tasty it seems, alot of rats do not like it. The young formula also is not as high quality as the adult.

I feed all my ages the adult and just add extras for the young ones :)

It is suggested that each rat eats about 1lb of food per month. But it depends on alot of different things. My younger rats tend to eat a bit more. How much snacks, treats, fresh food you feed as well. But I would say the 1lb is fairly close to go by give or take.

I highly recommend you shop for oxbow here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16965
If u r in the US it is the cheapest place to buy it from. Get the 20lb bags it is worth it and cheaper. It comes in a resealable bag and u can separate it and freeze some if u need to. For three rats that should last u a nice amount of time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonderful, thank you :) The only things I'd been able to find on Google seemed like way too much food.

I'll look into some extra protein snacks for them and see if the regular seems like a better option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts