Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeding my rats the Suebee mix (with dog food, but they seem to ignore that part mostly) and fresh fruits and veggies. I've been giving the fresh treats twice a day and now it seems to me they don't touch their regular food much. Am I feeding them too much fresh food? How often should they get it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
With Suebees it's important to provide a lot of fresh foods since the diet isn't entirely complete by itself. To make sure they are eating all their mix you can put only a certain amount in the bowl and not refill it at all until it is all gone (preferably an amount that will be gone within a day). If you feel they are getting too much fresh food you can cut back. Variety is key more than amount. A variety of veggies daily and a variety of fruits a few times a week is ideal. Here's my bit on fresh foods and some good ones to feed: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratfeeding.html#fresh

·
Registered
191 Posts
My rats wouldn't touch the dog food for a week or so, then decided they liked it.

As far as amount, I try to limit treats to make them eat their food, and I give it at different times of the day. For instance, I feed them their real food when I wake up at 7am, and then I give them treats at about 9pm. That way, when they are hungry during the day, they eat their food first.

As far as amount, I cut dixie cups to what I thought was an appropriate-sized scoop of each kind of food, and then kept that same amount for a few weeks. my boys got a little chunky, so I made new, smaller scoops and it seems to be the perfect amount now.

·
Registered
941 Posts
My boys eat veggies 'N' Fruits every now and then.
They love Dog food, but only a few peices.
And yoggies...lets not go there. they will eat an entire bag in a 1/2 hour.
(of course I dont let them.)

They mainly just eat the block food. The prefer it over most things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts