Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been offering fruits and veggies (I looked at a list to see which are okay to eat first, obviously) to my rats to see which ones they like.

The thing is, I see lots of lists and posts warning not to feed too much or they'll get upset tummies but they never really say how much is too much? Like, today, I gave my rats 3 blueberries and 1/2 a baby carrot each. I don't really know if I already gave them too much or not enough.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That sounds about right to me. Then again, everyone will have a different opinion on this haha.

They have little ceramic bowls at PetSmart that are super tiny. Normally I'll just fill that little bowl with whatever fruit (cut up bite sized) and that's it. And a handful of spring mix lettuces.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My rats get that salad mix you can get at the store it just has lettuce, shredded lettuce, and carrots in it. They get that daily with their grain food which has corn, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, kibbles, and grains and stuff, and they also get three lab rocks in each bowl. And when I bring them to my moms (every other weekend) they get egg, carrots, cucumber, Apple, steak with no seasonings, chicken, and today they each had a nibble of Apple pie. You have to remember that in the wild all they have to eat is garbage, grass, veggies and just whatever. So there's never to much veggies. The thing to watch for is dairy products like cheese, milk, even the yogie treats they may say rat on the package but I wouldn't recommend giving them all of the time, just a nice treat every now and then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see, thanks. My rats now get a full baby carrot each and a couple more blueberries. I wanna slowly add some more veggies in their diet, so I can see which one likes what, so I think those are some great suggestions. I was gonna buy a small package of strawberries but I think I'll add lettuce and cucumber to the next visit too. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Caitec-Buffet...F8&qid=1422162604&sr=1-2&keywords=forage+ball

Inside I usually put a big leaf of lettuce or some springmix and then some combination of veggies and treats like rice cake, plain cherrios or rasins. I give one ball to the girls in the morning before I go to work. The ball also is entertaining because they really have to work at it to get the food out. To make it extra difficult I sometimes put it on a hook and hang it somewhere hard to reach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts