Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that a little sneezing while they're adjusting to a new home is normal, but my girlies are still sneezy! They don't sneeze a lot a lot, maybe once every couple minutes, but they're quite consistant with little sneezes whenever they're awake.

They're noses don't drip, nor are they crusty, they just sneeze often. It sounded quite congested for a little while, and now it's back to just light sneezing.

They have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, but I just wanted to know, how much is normal? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Their first couple days consistant tiny sneezies could be all right, as long as they're displaying no other signs of illness. Hopefully they get a clean bill of health at the vets.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've had them for about a month now, I would have thought that the new rat sneezies would be gone.

But I took them into the vet, and he said they looked fine. As long as they're acting healthy otherwise, he said, a few little sneezies aren't a big problem. So yay, (mostly) healthy babies!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Do you have anything in the room that could be irritating them? Anything dusty or scented (air freshners and such)?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm. Yes, there is an air freshener, but it's across the room and on a pretty low setting. Plus I think it's all run out by now, but could that be it? There's not a ton of dust, but I do live on the "garden level" of my apartment, aka, my window starts at ground level. Could it be pollens/grasses that sort of thing?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I noticed one of my rats sneezes when I hold him arounf my neck. Thought about it and started holding him before I put on body spray and he has stopped. I also cant use dryer sheets with their blankets or they will sneeze, must be perfume sensitive

·
Registered
483 Posts
One of mine just sneezed twice I hope she isn't getting sick. I mean she is acting in a normal way so I don't know whats going on. I will just kep an eye on her since the vet isn't open till Monday. Ira seems to be doing better, he wants to get out now--- and he likes playing in the playpen, we are going to try to put him back in the cage today after I clean it out without any other rats to see if he can handle it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, interesting update-

I bought them some shavings to start potty training, which has been a total bust. They just knocked their pan over right away. But I decided to go ahead and put shavings down all over, since I was out of clean fleece.

And, amazingly, the sneezing has stopped!

Not really sure why, I cleaned up poopies and stuff 1-3 times a day, changed fleece every day or every other day. But this seemed to do the trick for them. So, I guess so much for my short flirtation with fabrics, it's back to beddings for me!

Also, the stuff I'm usuing is called "Super Shavings". I'll use Carefresh when this stuff runs out, but it was on sale for $0.70 for 7.1 liters, I figured that was a good deal! They say there's no ceder, no pine, and they use "wood products" that would otherwise have been burned or dumped, so it's environmentally friendly, too! Does anyone know anything bad about this stuff?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts