Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just started my medium/young rats on a new diet; they're eating the little vita blocks that are recommended by the petstore and this website. I follow the directions on the bag and give them 3 blocks each per day. I give them their food in the evening and in a couple hours, they're gone. So, am I right that they don't need any food until the following night? Aside from a few treats of course. They always seem so hungry!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Vita blocks? Which are these? :? I know we normally recommend HT or Nutro (or other suitable dog food) or Mazuri...

3 blocks is usually not enough... if that's going to be their main diet, feed them freely, unless they need to lose weight, which it doesn't sound like they do.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Kaytee is never recommended here. :(

·
Registered
489 Posts
Its not too healthy. And i wouldnt follow the feedin guide.

just fill up the whole bowl with the blocks.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Kaytee, Reggie Rat and Sun Seed are all considered the lowest quality foods out there, just above hamster/gerbil seed mixes of course. :p

If you have a PetSmart nearby you can buy Mazuri lab blocks there. :)
Hagen Nutri-block is pretty good too.

HT is Harlan Teklad but it is not sold in stores. You need to order it in. Kim's Ark sells it and then you are helping a rat rescue as well. Its $1 a pound plus shipping.

Free-feed lab blocks if thats their staple, and its the best staple out there. If later on you want to restrict their diet, make sure you research things before you start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts