Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after a week of waiting for it to arrive in the mail my rat's doxy finally came. only problem is i don't how much i'm supposed to give them. it says on each of the bottles to give them '1 ML', but that is way too much! it's the whole syringe if that was the case. i've never given a rat anything close to that much medicine, let alone give that amount twice a day.
the syringes look like this one http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31D6qfzsdNL._SY355_.jpg
i asked my mom and she said probably they meant the 0.1. we ordered this over a week ago so i can't remember where he said to fill the syringe to. i'm going to ask her again later on to call to verify because they're sneezing badly and need this infection to go away.
i gave them the 0.1 dose and they seemed to take it fine.
why would it say give them an entire 1 ML dose when that seems like it'd be way too much ? has anyone given their rat that much medicine before?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It really depends on how they mixed it. You could give your rat 50ml if the concentration was right lol. Obviously it's a good idea to call and check, but it may really be 1ml. I'd never make a dosage like that for a rat if I was mixing medicine, but who knows what they were thinking.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It depends on the concentration and it depends on the weight of the rat. Overdosing antibiotics can be toxic and kill a rat, and underdosing will be ineffective and may make the bacteria more resistant and stronger against that type of antibiotic.

Definitely check with your vet, or at least find out the concentration of meds and the weight of your rats. Dosages are different for different rats. For example, currently I have 3 on clavamox at 0.08, 0.1, and 0.15. The doses vary widely depending on weight, and there isn't just a one size fits all for every rat.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My girls are on amoxicillin.
Which you mix a capsule with 7.5ml of water or flavor and then give a 1/2 pound eat 0.15 so I give my girls 0.5

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks so much for the responses. i know medicine for rats can be tricky so we're calling in the morning to make sure. the vet was sort of vague when he spoke to me about it all, and it was really offputting. might go back to the old vet from now on lol.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Dosing rats is actually extremely difficult and not all that well studied/documented. Rats have extremely fast metabolisms and may not react to a medicine the same way a cat or dog would. I typically check with the vet in the lab I work at to make sure the information I'm getting from other vets is valid (we work only with rodents, so he's highly specialized). It's always good to double check and do your homework. ratguide.com provides some really good dosing information though it's in pharmacy lingo, so it's a bit difficult to understand at first. There's typically an effective range for dosing, so a little variation is fine as long as it's within that range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts