Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
As some of you know, both of my girls have been struggling with chronic URIs. They're eight months old and have been on antibiotics twice. Here's my question: is poryphin, in small amounts, and the occasional sneeze okay/normal? Both times they've been on antibiotics I've been absolutely certain that it was time for a vet visit, but lately they've been having the occasional discharge from their noses (just a speck) and the odd sneeze (maybe a few times over a 24hr period). Does this sound to you like the URI is returning, or is this to be expected in some rats?
I'd love any advice you have.
Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oddly enough, the current group of rats I have, never have sneezed at all. Not once, nor do I see any poryphin around eyes or nose-tho some staining on my albino's fur from licking.

The two boys I had previous to this group however always had issues and were on and off antibiotics their whole lives. Even when they were doing reasonably well we had occasional sneezing and little red around their noses. We had to keep all forms of dust to a minimum and stress levels down. I noticed if anything new was going and was the cause of even minor stress we got sneezes. Anything dusty, we got sneezes. So if yours are like my boys, I just kept everything really clean, no urine build up, no dust and accepted the occasional sneezing and red around the nose. I'd try and put them up to my ear to listen for any odd sounds or the sneezing started ramping up I'd bring them in to the vets. I eventually just kept antibiotics at the house and treated myself when I felt it was out of control. I can't say if this is the best idea or not, but I feel that I had a pretty good understanding of when things were getting bad for my boys. Boo ended up living to almost 3 years and Buddy was close to 3 and 1/2. I think they did pretty well considering they had chronic uri issues, however they never seemed extremely sick with them-they always had an appetite and tho they were lazy boys who got lazier with age, they were still able to climb to the different levels in their cage in old age.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply, Mimsy! Your post gave me hope! It seems like your previous two boys went through exactly what my two girls are dealing with. Mine never seemed extremely sick (with the exception of the sneezing bouts/poryphin), as even at the worst of the URIs they remained active and ate a ton. I did switch to a dust free bedding, spot clean daily, and do a full clean weekly. I try to keep the room at a constant temperature and dust free. It seems that sometimes there's only so much that can be done. I've tried listening to their chests and I don't hear anything, and when we went to the vet both times she confirmed that their chests were clear. I suppose it'll be a chronic thing, and in between flare ups there might be a bit of sneezing. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts