Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had this age of rats. I am feeding them Oxbow Adult(and giving treats occasionally). About how much food should I feed them per day? Is there like a chart somewhere with amounts of food for each age? I weighed one of them the other day, and he was about 50 grams.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oh, the babes!!! So much fun :giggle: I know there's an amount based on their weight, but I gave my babies Oxbow free choice, a handful at a time in the morning and evening. I also gave them eggy-rice and cream of wheat with my fingers, making sure each one got it's share. Some veggies every other day, but not too much or it can give them the runs. When they're growing, they can eat a lot, so keep an eye on how much they're getting.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I free feed them. One handful every time I eat lunch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
50 grams doesn't sound right for a 6 week old. Is it possible they were much younger than you were told?

At that age, the safest thing would be to free feed and let them have as much as they want.
Oh, maybe? It's possible my cheap scale is malfunctioning.How much is a 6 week old supposed to weigh?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The charts I'm seeing are generally putting 6 week old rats in the 80-100+ range. Are they female? Dwarf?
They are male, and she didn't mention them being dwarf. Here are some pictures of him next to my hand(my hand I see like 6-7 inches long from the tipof my middle finger to just above my wrist).

The wire are 3/8 inch spaced.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Where did these boys come from? What did the seller tell you about them? How much do you trust the person you got them from?

At this point, it's probably doesn't change anything if they're actually 4 or 5 weeks old. I don't think there are a lot of breeders on this forum. A breeding facebook group, the r/RATS subreddit, or the RatsRatsRats discord might be good resources if you're looking to sleuth this out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts