Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rattery where I'm getting my new friends has recommended the Oxbow Young Rat food, at least initially, although they haven't suggested when to switch to the Regal Rat.

I won't be getting the little ones for another two weeks -- they have to be old enough to go out into the world, so they're going to be SMALL at first, and I'm sure their food amounts will change rapidly.

My last Young Critter was my young Dachshund, who ate about four times what the adult Dachshund and the Beagle ate while he was growing, so I'm prepared for them eating lots while they're growing.

THe question is, "How much is enough?"

In other words, roughly how much food per rat is generally recommended?

I do realize this is a loaded question, since it will depend on how much exercise they get. They'll be in a Critter Nation Double, and there is a 13" Wodent Wheel in it. I also have an exercise pen so I can take them out. (My biggest worry is the fact that I know all too well that young animals are escape artists.)

So, on average, how much food?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I personally would keep their food bowl full 24/7. Give fresh food daily as well, about the size of their head.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I usually start with a hand full, then when I see it's gone, add an other. You will quickly learn how much they need and will be able to add how much you think they need to keep the bowl full for a day or two. (I like to be able to give them resources for 2 days so I don't have to worry if I decide to be out for a night with out a sitter.) I have 2 rats and so far a good handful seems to last most of a day, so I'm eventually going to be giving them a dish that can hold about 2 hand fulls.

I had one male rat before these 2, and I usually just filled his bowl as full as I could and it lasted him 2 days, but these two babies combined eat more then my large male rat did, and the same amount of food lasts them 1 day, even though they are still babies. (I also have small hands, keep that in mind.) Rats tend not to over feed themselves if they have constant access to food, but you'll learn how to feed them if you have weight problems.

If you just get a nice size dish, and fill it full, you will learn how long that lasts and then you can change how much you give them depending on how long you want the food to last. You shouldn't give them more then 2 days worth of food, or else the food can get stale and not be as nice for the ratties to eat, and they might refuse to eat it, meaning you're throwing out food they should be eating.

Personally, I use Martin's Rat and Mouse Ration, as I have had a good response to that food, and they like the smell due to the fact a main ingredient is haring paste. I live in Canada, and a 2 Lb bag costs be 10$ CND and lasts a good while because they eat most, if not all, of it. It lasted a long time, (like, a month, maybe 2,) when I had a female mouse and solo male rat that I fed with it, but I have a feeling it will last a little less because of my two hungry ratty girlies lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dry food must be available all the time. I personally just add small handfull of lab blocks two times a day for my two boys (one of my rats tend to stash the food all over the cage so I don't fill the bowl full normally, otherwise there would be food everywhere). But if I'm away from home all day or longer, I just load quite a lot food for them so I don't have to worry if they have enough or not. If you have a nice, light (not too much fat or any added sugar) and nutritional food for them, they won't eat too much or get fat due the dry food :)

And I also feed fresh veggies and/or fruits every day and they get meat/fish/seafood/chicken/insects etc. occasionally and some kind of porridge stuff/rice/pasta etc. few times a week. Sometimes I feed grain and seed mix with their lab blocks too and they get treats every day because every little rattie deserves treats ♥ but treats don't have to be anything unhealthy, mine love cooked rice, sunflower seeds, rolled oats, baby puffs, VL hamster & gerbil kibbles and stuff like that :) but yeah you can give pretty much anything for them in moderation.

Hope this helped even a little :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts