• Other (enter below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a fixed fee could be arranged to go from the forever home to temporary home how much would be apropriate?
Appologises for the £s but you get the idea, Im sure someone can give us an idea of a similar amount in other currencies

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Depends on the rat/foster care, I suppose.

I think some adoption fee is appropriate, though, it weeds out people looking for free feeders or people not willing to make a commitment to their new pets.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
An adoption fee is always necessary. There should be a fixed fee - one for intact rats, one higher for sterilized rats. Having varying fees could ward off adopters and is a little disorganized.

I help out a lot at Huron Valley Rat Rescue, and an intact rat is $10, while a speutered rat is $20. If you adopt more than one rat, there should be a bit of a 'deal,' or at least there usually always is from what I've come across - no matter what animal is being adopted out.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think our fees are reasonable... $10 for one, $15 for two, $20 for 3, $25 for 4, etc. We encourage adopters to get at least 2 for a multitude of reasons, and I think having fees this way does that.

Most (9 our of 13) of my personal rats came from HVRR (mentioned by Night), and I believe the adoption fee there is completely fair. Especially since you get a speutered rat for $20!

I totally disagree with giving any animal away for free.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I don't think you need to charge an adoption fee to your close friends. But for the rest of the world, it's a good idea.

And asking more than $20-25 per rat seems really pricey, unless they're speutered. I like sliding scale adoption fees, too, because they do encourage people to make sure their ratties have lots of friends. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts