Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend wants a ferrit really really badly, however i've hurd that they are illegal in California unless you have a lisence of some kind? also if we were to meet the requirements of getting a ferrit how much to they cost??

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Ferrets are extremely expensive pets. Just purchasing/adopting one (which, by the way, you need to have at least a pair) will cost you $120-$200. After that, you need to get them certain shots, tests, and other vet care pretty much immediately, so that'll be another $200 or so. Ferret cages need to be very sturdy and large, so a good one will probably cost you about $150-$250. After that, you need bowls, lots of blankets/hammocks, high-quality food, litter boxes, litter, tons and TONS of toys, child-proofing equipment, books, supplements, et cetera.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
http://www.lovingferrets.com/index.php

and

http://www.ocferrets.org/

Ferrets are INCREDIBLY expensive o_O Do I ever know D: And they also are INCREDIBLY time consumeing. But I love my fuzzbutts.

I've been lucky with mine. They havn't contracted Insulnomia or Adrenal disease. But Gidgett and Lugh are around 6 now and both need to be tested as soon as possible for both just to be safe. Gidget was tested negative late last year for Insulnomia and it is possible she has Adrenal disease so we are watching her closely. She needs a follow up with that but so far her fur is nice and thick on her tail and her genitals aren't swollen so I'm not worried. But yeah they can live up to 13 years, possibly more if given the right care!

Gidgett=6

Lugh=6 (pronounced Lou)

And then there is always the fact that they are inherently ebil:

Spazz=4

Spazz the evil nipper of toes proves it!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I believe it's because they (inaccurately) classify ferrets as exotics, and they have laws to prevent private citizens from owning exotic pets. It has a lot to do with people being sadly misinformed, and refusing to listen to the facts.

However, since it is illegal, I would highly advise not getting one. If you're found with a ferret in California (although there are people who keep them, regardless, but it's a big risk), they can seize the animal. I don't know if there are large fines involved as well, but I wouldn't be surprised.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's so strange...ferrets are quite common here in the UK. If people don't keep them as pets they keep them for rabbiting etc...maybe it's just because i live in the country that i know a lot of people who have them though

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ferrets in the UK aren't as disease prone I hear because they aren't from Marshall ferret farm D:

Yeah it is stupid. I think they are illegal in both California and New York. The Governator made a promise to legalise them but then decided they would 'have to drastic effect on the environment' or some bull like that. They think they are 1. biters (less prone to biteing than any dog 2. will make feral populations that can't be controlled (ferrets can't live in the wild) and some other bull reasons I can't remember.

Very curious about the Governator not following through on his promise to legalise him. Especially since the movie Kindergarten Cop stared a ferret D:

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i find ferrets fascinating. i would love to get to know one personally but i'm not sure i would want to own one (or two) any time soon. i heard they are akin to having a hyper 2 year old for their entire life span. i already have a 4 year old son, i don't think i could handle another little lovely terror right now. but i really wish i could meet one. i'll have to befriend a ferret owner just so i can go play with the ferret.... *grins*

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've always wanted to have a couple ferrets, though I just wish I had a few ferret owners to talk to about it. I've read a few books, and TONS of websites, but I still feel like I know very little.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i live in ny and i had 6 ferrets they are only ilegle in ny city it all depend were you live in ny. ny state use to have permits for ferrets but they stoped that. i dont know anything about califonia tho but ny it just depends on were you are. and let me tell you were i live ferrets are about $120 each and you defintly want at least 2 i took in a ferrets that was in a loving home but he was by himself he looked like they never feed him he didnt play like he should he was perfectly healthy other wise we did tons of test but in the end he was just horible he kept to him self. i let a good freind take him becuse she had more time to give him one on one but he got out of his cage and died she felt bad. i had a super pet cage that was for ferrets and i had to modify that becuse they are smart.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The lovingferrets forum is pretty awesome Night. I would suggest joining that. Their moderation of membership takes some time but I think it's worth it in the lack of spammers in the forums.

I posted a link a page back for that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use to have a ferret, and would have one again if it was not for the smell. I am super sensative to smells like that.
Aside from the smell she was a great pet. Ferrets around me are running about 140.00.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts