Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is the wrong section to put this in, but I thought since my ratty is due any day now that it would be nice to know where to keep my expectations of live-born babies.

So main question:

How often are rat babies stillborn?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I've only ever seen one stillborn. Even with litters of 17-20. Of course, if you leave mom alone with them for long enough, she will eat any stillborn pups.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooh, kind of gross... So it isn't very often? I've heard of someone who had a litter of 7 and 6 were stillborn, and the other died that night. But she may not have taken good care of the rats, so yeah.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I've always heard and experienced myself tht you lose one is most litters, but as was mentioned the mother generally consumes them to reappropriate the nutrients so it can go unnoticed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay, so I shouldn't expect half of them to die... I guess?

Sorry that I'm being a bit paranoid about this whole litter situation, so sorry if I ask loads of questions, I just want to prevent anything horrible from happening!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I've had many litters and only one stillborn, sorry, should have made that more clear. I'd say it's not all that common to have a stillborn and unless there's something seriously wrong with the pups, you can expect them all to live.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It's unlikly for the full litter to be stillborn unless somethings going on with mum (rats can get STDs). I'd say that in a typical big litter you might loose 1 or 2 either still born or in the first week as mum chooses to get rid of them for some reason. Street The first week your unlikly to loose any other than maybe around 4 to 5 weeks when they move properly onto solid food. That's when birth defects like megacolon shows up and rats can fall ill over the next few weeks and may not make it.

Unfortunately death is very much apart of new life. Generally is a lovely experience but I'll be honest my worst rat experiences have been related to breeding as well as some of the best

1 - 10 of 10 Posts