Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiosity...

How old is the oldest rat you currently own?
And, if your current rats aren't your first, what age did the oldest rat you have ever owned reach?

We don't know exactly how old our recently adopted boys are because we've had conflicting info, but it seems likely that our oldest, Dougal will be 2yrs old in December. He is extremely fast, energetic and full of life and mischief!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
At the moment my oldest rat is Bobby, he'll be three in a few months, my oldest rat in the past was one of my two first rats. Her name was Maisy and she lived till 3 and a half.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Amazing - I hope my boys live to such a grand old age! I once had a dwarf hamster that lived to be 4, but my last rats I had as a teen were about 2 I think.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sorry for my weird reply. I was reading your post on the app and it only showed the first line of your question with none of the other text.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Iris is anywhere between two and a half and three and a half. We average her at three.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess energy levels are different in individual rats but I'm wondering how active the older rats are, like yours nanashi, at around 3yrs old. Does Iris still move around well or have her energy levels dropped off?

It seems our adopted boys, who are around a year older than our original three are waaaaay more active than our original boys. Perhaps again it's just individual personality but our original three are so lazy it's unreal compared to the hyper older newly adopted boys. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the older boys had very little human interaction or stimulation before we took them on and they're still excited about the new lease of life...

Littlebird: no problem!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Iris has arthritis and is pretty lazy, but she can almost completely keep up with my younger rats during free range and play time. She is more likely to take breaks though.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Currently my oldest at guestimate is Butter cup, who will be a year in late January.

Previous rats have probably averaged around 2 1/2 -3 years. We had a two that died very very young, as in under 6 months (1 no idea what from we only had him a week and he was fine one minute gone the next and another, from our first pair, I think was megacolon ..but I didn't know back then and neither did our vet). We had 2 make it over 3, one of which was a over 3 1/2.

The oldest one didn't really slow down that much. He was never a really hyper guy to begin with however. But he was still able to use levels in his cage, though we did do things to make it easier. The only issue we had is teeth issues with him when he got really old. He stopped grinding them, and he never chewed stuff in life ever and they would grow to crazy lengths. We had to go to the vets every 6 weeks or so to have them trimmed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've only had 4 rats, and currently the oldest are 2.5 years old. Nala is really ill, but her sister Tillie got the good genetics and stil runs around like nobody's business. When she gets bored playing with babies on my bed she just rolls off and onto the floor.

The oldest rat ever was 7 years 4 months, so that's my goal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts