Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if when getting a female you want fixed, should you wait until quarantine is over or go once you can get an appointment?

I'm interested on getting a female from the pet store but already own two boys. I have an extra cage, roomy and nice for her to stay in until i can get her fixed, she is about 6 or 7 months according to the owner of the store. I'd love to get her so I've been thinking about spaying, because she can't live alone in my spare cage of course. I'd like to move her in with the boys after she's been quarantined and spayed but want to know when the right time is?

I'm still feeling iffy on the subject since it sounds so dangerous, if any one has had a girl (or boy) fixed I'd like to hear what you think about it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions, but I would like to point out that you should also consider getting one or both of your boy's neutered if you get a girl, as they might fight over her (though I'm not 100% if it would happen). I'm sure someone else will be able to help you though!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I dont think putting a female in with two boys is a good idea spayed or not spayed. This could cause the two boys to fight over her. But the others may suggest otherwise. I would get all spayed and neutured. Aggression levels will be high otherwise and the boys WILLfight over her. I've heard this happen before when someone put a supposed male that was a female in with two boys and they fought and pounced on her!

Maybe it would be best for you to get another girl for your girly to live with I think this would be a better idea??

But see what the others say! :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Intact males do just fine with spayed females. They don't have those exciting hormones making them as attractive. After awhile they figure out she's not the same girl they were hoping for. :)

I would get your girl, then wait a week for the spay, so that she is acclimated to you and your home and not so frightened. Also you want to make sure she is not sick or anything either. Then you can get her spayed, and the rest of the time in QT she can heal and get to know you.

As long as you have a healthy girl and a good rat vet who has done rat spays before you should be fine.

Why did you decide on a female for your males anyways?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late replies!

lostbutnotforgot: That wouldn't be a problem for me to get both boy’s done, I just figured the girl would be fine with two boys because she wouldn't be "flirt-y" :D but if aggression started she would be back out of the cage for as long as it took me to get them both altered anyway. I just didn't want to put any extra stress on my other two ratties if it wasn't necessary. But i defiantly would do it if problems rose, for sure.

giddy4ratz: she is the only rat at the pet store currently, i don't know how soon they'd be getting in new rats and they favor a certain gender when they do, so there aren't any escapee's or accidents. but i could try to make it into town. So i could supply her with a bigger cage and get her a friend over time.

Lilspaz68: Kind of mix responses about this isn't there. I think i may try to get just her spayed then slowly introduce her as you would any new rat to a mischief, male or female. If problems arise I'll go to the doctor and make appointments for one or both of the boys, hopefully it goes okay though. I'm kind of worried about problems coming up further down the road though. Thanks for your useful info :)

I fell inlove with her about 5 months back, she’s a black capped rex with the curly-est whiskers and the brightest eyes I’ve ever seen. a few weeks ago the owner was cleaning her cage while I was visiting and she let me hold her for the duration, i can't get her out of my mind, and my boys have a big cage so i'd love for her to be an addition to the family.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You could always get another female for her... that would solve everything- except cost of the new bigger cage! Good luck whatever you decide. xx

·
Registered
187 Posts
It usually takes about 5 days to a week for the males to leave alone the spayed females. Once they realize she doesn't go into heat, they then treat her as a buddy.
All my females get spayed, I have some neutered males but mostly all intact males.
I would have the girl spayed immediately so that her recovery is part of her quarantine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts