Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I felt like a walk today, and ended up at the pet store where I bought Nippy. Nippy wasn't my first rat, but she was the mother of all but two of the rats I currently have. I hadn't known she was pregnant when I bought her. I told the management to watch for things like that in the future. Today I found five rats caged together. One boy and five girls, and considering Nippy's litter was 14 that's a whole lot of babies! The lady said she couldn't tell a boy from a girl rat. I think all of us know the difference is just slightly obvious. I told her to get the boy rat in his own cage but she didn't seem in too much of a hurry. Generally although they sell feeders they take general good care of the animals there, but it drives me insane that with a little care a lot of unwanted babies wouldn't have to suffer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Oh my goodness, I cant even explain how much that would aggravate me. As a former pet store employee, that person shouldnt be working with animals, especially if they don't care to separate the two sexes. Seems like they're pretty dumb..

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Anyone with any sense knows better than to mix boys and girls unless they're altered, which these obviously aren't.I hate to think what will become of the little ones. I currently have eight rats or I'd take in several, but evn if I was ratless at the moment I couldn't save them all. I plan to call them back tomorrow and speak to management. It may already be too late.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Some people have gotten great results taking it as high as it can go. Pet stores do not do enough to educate their employees on the basics imo and it drives me crazy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts