Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to his territorial aggression (and as far as Petri is concerned, all he views is his territory) Petri was recently neutered.
My question is how long does it take for his testosterone levels to go down? His overwhelming male stink (it was stronger than the smell of my two much larger males) has been reduced.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
it normally takes between 1 and 2 months for your typical male to settle down, though you can still see some changes as late as 3 months with some

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Depends on how far along they are. they start to get there testosterone through at about 12 weeks (you can actually smell the difference with a human nose), I would definitely not want any rat neutered before then. After that they get there full wack of testosterone anywhere between 4 and 12 months, some older rats can have a fake hormone surge if a dominant buck above them in the heirachy dies and leaves a vaccum.

If you neuter in this stage it kind of depends when as well as how much of a grump they are, as well as how dominant / amount of testosterone they have as to how fast they'd settle back down. I wouldn't neuter before 6 months though (unless its really needed) as a bit of testosterone helps them fill out a bit and grow normally.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got a little boy from a rescue, and he was neutered at 8 weeks. Do you know if he'll have issues I need to watch out for?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
poor thing, that really is young to be neutered. He will likely always be small and feminine for a buck, he's not going to get much in the way of muscle tone and is probably never going to reach full buckish size. I would also keep an eye on the neuter site as it can cause issues neutering them before there inaugural canal has closed up (they can still retract testicles into there body for a while, meaning the opening is larger and can allow infection to track up).

It is bad that the rescue did it this young, they were probably applying a principle to rats that they do to larger animals (e.g. must be neutered before going to there new homes) however its quite different for rats. However there's nothing else you can do other than keep monitoring him and if he gets droppy, lethargic or seems very unwell then get him to the vets asap (this can be a sign infection has gone systemic), if his castration sight gets inflamed or enlarged also get him to the vet quickly and get him on a course of antibiotics (amoxicillin is the best options).

Relating to your earlier question he wont get the coarse coat or smell change to that of a buck, as unless the neuter was botched (I have seen a rat who was only half neutered) he wont be getting any testosterone floating around.

To be fair he will probably live longer than a rat not neutered, but he may have a few complications yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you. I'll keep a close eye on him. I've had him for two months now and haven't noticed any signs of infection. He does seem to be growing really slowly compared to other rats I've had.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Since he was 8 weeks old, his testosterone levels were pretty low, and I would consider negligible. You said he was strong smelling? Is he still strong smelling a couple of months later? Normally its 4 months and up before they get that very distinct male musk. 8 weeks is still just an older baby so you might want to look at his diet if he still smells strong, or if the smell has faded its probably because the diet he was on prior has processed through his body.

Can you describe the territorial aggression signs you were seeing? They normally have no issues at this age beyond rough play with siblings or annoying older rats by just being a high energy pest with no manners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts