Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
: ( I'm very sad that these rats have been in the pine bedding for so long. I just adopted them tonight and they are sneezing all the time and their sniffing is very audible. I do not know how to tell if they have infections or not (or is that what this is?). Is there anything I can do to make them feel better? I'm sure they're in pain.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dark chocolate may help, but they also might need antibiotics. Your best bet would be to see a vet if they don't get over sneezing/get significantly better in a couple days or especially if they get worse. Rats often sneeze in a new place or with new smells, so some sneezing is normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, thank you! I will try the dark chocolate. How much would you recommend?
I know it's normal but I definitely think they are sick considering how loud they sniff and that they've been in pine bedding for their whole lives. I will take them into the vet for sure, if they don't improve. I found a very nice one who likes my other boy : )

·
Registered
149 Posts
I usually do a chocolate chip at a time. They very well could be sick considering, but hopefully they're just getting used to the new place :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
New home sneezies are more common with babies, and are dry and sharp sneezes, often rapid with one after the other. These pass within 4-5 days as the rats sensitive respiratory system acclimates to the new environment.Any sneezing that is congested at all is a respiratory infection. Or if there's secondary symptoms like porphyrin around eyes or nose (red discharge) consistently through the day, lethargy, any lung noises, etc.As for future care, give them the best diet, lots of Out time, and pray the pine long-term didn't damage any organs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts