Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have a new coast cage that Splinter and Tweezer have been living in a couple days. I love it. It's nice and roomy, they love the wheel, and Splinter LOVES the concept of ramps and shelves. I still have the 10 gallon aquarium that Splinter lived in. Is there some way to combine them? I was thinking about cutting a hole somehow in the side of the cage, and cutting a hole in the aquarium cover, and connecting them with a tube.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe that's possible... But you'd have to wait for someone to post that has more experience ^-^

Pics could help.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Although I do recommend expanding that Coast Cage (which will be too small when they're fully grown), I don't recommend using an aquarium at all for rats... the problems with aquariums still exist with wire toppers.. the aquarium itself doesn't get good ventilation, ammonia build-up, etc.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm going to back up what Mana said. Given the choice of them being a little crowded with no 10 gallon or not crowded at all with the 10 gallon, I'd go with them being a little crowded.

I had two males in that cage for a while (If it's the cage I was thinking about) with no ill effects. Of course I didn't know about the rat forums in those days, so I would recommend upgrading when you can, but at the same time i think you're ok for a while until you can get the money to upgrade.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sort of doing that right now, but i'm connecting a cage to the aquarium topper part.

I went to ferret.com and got a "Super Pet Ferretrail Passageway Connectors 2-Pack" I'm planning on cutting out a hole in it so that it will fit and it will just snap on the cage. I have a tube tha will go between them and their cages will be connected. You can get a 10 gallon terrerium topper and do the same, cut a hole and insert a connecter, or you can just cut a rough hole. You'd need more tubes than i needed though, or you can get a flexi-tube

I haven't set mine up yet (my father in law promised to do it but its been nearly a week :() but thats my plan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts