Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly what it says on the title really. I have two male rats in a rather large Savic cage. A homeless one is currently at the rehoming centre near me. Hes getting depressed on his own and needs some friends. I thought he would be ideal to add to my collection. However, the partner isn't keen. Thinking it will add more time, money and especially smell to the living room. Any ideas, tips/ convincing words to help me win him over. This little guy really needs a home and mine are young enough accept him. Any help gladly appreciated

·
Registered
737 Posts
try showing him how lonly the rat is and insure him that clean up is the same ammount of time i have a large number of rats and they each get time of day from me and my bf cage cleaning is the same amount of time every few days and the smell dosent increase that much with just one more and puppy eyes help too

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I will try both of these. We are visiting the lone rat tomorrow. Well if I can keep convincing him...still doesn't mean he will let me!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Analyze the cost factors (determine how much you spend per rat on food, etc. each month) so that you can tell him exactly how much more you'd be spending. Tell him that you'd do free range time with all three at once (so no more time) and that you will increase cage cleaning frequency if needed. If his biggest concerns are time with you and how much smellier they will be, then you need to allieviate these concerns. I have my rats in a different room mainly due to the smell factor myself... It seems that your partner isn't so much "anti third rat" as he is anti-smell and fears loosing more time with you. Also try to schedule cage cleaning and play time when your partner has other stuff going on, which should help.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Analyze the cost factors (determine how much you spend per rat on food, etc. each month) so that you can tell him exactly how much more you'd be spending. Tell him that you'd do free range time with all three at once (so no more time) and that you will increase cage cleaning frequency if needed. If his biggest concerns are time with you and how much smellier they will be, then you need to allieviate these concerns. I have my rats in a different room mainly due to the smell factor myself... It seems that your partner isn't so much "anti third rat" as he is anti-smell and fears loosing more time with you. Also try to schedule cage cleaning and play time when your partner has other stuff going on, which should help.
Yeah, this.

Your partner's concerns sound very fair, wise, and legitimate, to me.

I'd much rather see someone thinking that way than doing impulse acquisitions, you know? Without thinking it all through.

If you can show your partner you guys have enough in the vet fund for any possible emergency for that third rat, and plan to address his other concerns, then go for it.

It would be fabulous if you could help this homeless boy in need, but really both adults in the home ought to be enthusiastic about it, better for all involved.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies. We spent a day talking it through: The negatives and the positives. Turns out it was my impulse buying he was more concerned about. So once we talked through this we went and collected the rat. The cage is that big it will only fit in our living room. I'm just hoping the smell never gets too bad to bother us! Though they don't smell at the moment, but there's only 2 in the room, not 3.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for your replies. We spent a day talking it through: The negatives and the positives. Turns out it was my impulse buying he was more concerned about. So once we talked through this we went and collected the rat. The cage is that big it will only fit in our living room. I'm just hoping the smell never gets too bad to bother us! Though they don't smell at the moment, but there's only 2 in the room, not 3.
Well, sounds good if you guys talked it through.

Congrats on your adoption...but did you seriously think you could announce that, and not post any pics?!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol. To be fair hes pretty shy at the moment so I don't have many good pics and I'm lazy, so posting pics on photobucket and then posting to here is alotttt of effort. However, if I get time after work tonight I will post in the 'meet my rat' section :). He's gorgeous. Beautiful colouration. I will post. I need post some better ones of my other two aswell :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.