Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neither of my girls seem inclined to chew on wood or other hard materials much. I know they need to keep their teeth worn down-- can they do that all on their own? If not, how can I encourage chewing?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
They chew fabric like there's no tomorrow... you'd think they'd be into chewing blocks too, but noooo.... they have to be difficult.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I've tried both that and using wood blocks that I can shove food inside. For a while Grizz was really into chewing the Aspen bedding in their litter box... but that is as close as I've gotten to success.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mine really like it when I make tiny sandwiches out of the little square wood chews that you can get at Petco. You put a thin layer of peanut butter between two or more of the chews and then freeze them.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
They dont need to chew things at all, its one of those internet rat myths . The brux when they are content and restin and this files there teeth to a nice point. Also eating hard food helps too. You only have to worry about keeping there teeth short if the teeth are uneven or dont meet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. If they can take care of it on their own then I won't worry too much about it. Now if I can get them to STOP chewing holes in my comforter, we'll be all set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts