Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of my rats know when stop means stop and have decent behavior. They would never bit anyone on purpose, but Lynn can get a little carried away a times. Lynn is my little deaf dumbo. She's also not vocal at all, which probably has something to do with her being deaf. The only time I've ever heard her squeak was when I accidentally stepped on her tail once, other than that she's never made an audible sound.

My rats love to play and wrestle, but Lynn seems to have taken things to extreme measures recently. She doesn't know how hard she bites at times, even though I know she's just play biting. Yesterday she was hanging on to Toast's ear for a good minute or so before I caught her attention with something else and she let go. She's never bitten anyone bloody, but she does like to take things a little close to the edge.

Due to the fact that she can not hear anything she also tends to lunge at people and rats that startle her while sleeping. She doesn't bite, she just lunges. That's a little off topic though.

The main question I have though is how would I change her behavior when it comes to taking things over the edge. I've tried tapping her lightly on the nose and flipping her on her back, but she things it's play most of the time. I can't really tell her no because she can't hear. If I ignore her she tends to grab my attention in another way.

This is not really a huge problem now, but I'd like to correct her behavior to keep it from turning into a huge problem. =P

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would use a nose tap as a warning No, and then if she continues pick her up firmly, bring her to eye level and repeat the nose tap a bit firmer whilst saying a firm No. She might not be able to hear it but its your body language and being restrained that will be part of the telling off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts