Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I think my rats might have mites or something, I noticed them each scratching with their back leg and not licking it, they don't scratch all the time, and I don't see any scabs but I guess they could still have them, either from the aspen I used or the new rat from the pet store that was in a separate cage from the mite infected rats, so I need to buy revolution if they have it at my pet store, or is there a place to order it online and ship to Canada ? Is it safe to use on a 4 week old rat ? Do I just put a drop on their fur ? What if they lick it off ? Also can the mites or lice or whatever they have, survive on fleece and carpets ? Do I have to wash everything ?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It's recommended you wash or freeze everything. I usually don't.

You cannot get revolution without a prescription at most places. Online you can get it from joespetmeds petsofoz or petshed. You'll need the kitten formula. One tube treats about 5-7 rats.

You do three drops from the tube on to the space between their shoulder blades and then you hold them for five minutes to make sure no one grooms it off. After which it dries. It isn't really toxic if ingested just useless.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's recommended you wash or freeze everything. I usually don't.

You cannot get revolution without a prescription at most places. Online you can get it from joespetmeds petsofoz or petshed. You'll need the kitten formula. One tube treats about 5-7 rats.

You do three drops from the tube on to the space between their shoulder blades and then you hold them for five minutes to make sure no one grooms it off. After which it dries. It isn't really toxic if ingested just useless.
Holding them for one minute alone is a challenge , but I'll try. How many drops for a 4 week old rat ?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Is s/he about palm sized? I would do two.

Will they sit on your shoulder? You can let them walk around as long as you prevent grooming.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is s/he about palm sized? I would do two.

Will they sit on your shoulder? You can let them walk around as long as you prevent grooming.
The 4 week old rat is still terrified of me, but she will stay still , the other one won't stay still but she isn't as scared, and the oldest one isnt shy and will stay still if she has treats

·
Registered
163 Posts
i got revolution from my vet. she had to measure it exactly so it wasnt too much or too little for the rats. going to a vet can also confirm or deny if they actually have mites or not. they could be scratching themselves from dry skin, too.
my vet also told me that it's alright if they groom it, because it spreads it along their fur. my rats didnt seem to be too fussy about it.

after giving them a treatment of revoultion, you have to clean everything. mite eggs can live on carpets, fleece, bedding, etc. every other week when they get their treatment i throw out their current fleece, wash everything in antibacterial soap and hot water, and give them baths before using the revolution. i also wash all my bedding and play sheets, as well as vacuum around the area where their cage is.
it's been 3 weeks and the mites have nearly completely gone away; they dont have scabs from bite marks anymore, and they dont scratch themselves like they did while still infected.

its good to freeze all of their food and litter to prevent mites or other bugs from living in the bag. (once i opened up a bag of mixed food and there was hundreds of live bugs crawling out and onto my hand. yuck.)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got revolution from my vet. she had to measure it exactly so it wasnt too much or too little for the rats. going to a vet can also confirm or deny if they actually have mites or not. they could be scratching themselves from dry skin, too.
my vet also told me that it's alright if they groom it, because it spreads it along their fur. my rats didnt seem to be too fussy about it.

after giving them a treatment of revoultion, you have to clean everything. mite eggs can live on carpets, fleece, bedding, etc. every other week when they get their treatment i throw out their current fleece, wash everything in antibacterial soap and hot water, and give them baths before using the revolution. i also wash all my bedding and play sheets, as well as vacuum around the area where their cage is.
it's been 3 weeks and the mites have nearly completely gone away; they dont have scabs from bite marks anymore, and they dont scratch themselves like they did while still infected.

its good to freeze all of their food and litter to prevent mites or other bugs from living in the bag. (once i opened up a bag of mixed food and there was hundreds of live bugs crawling out and onto my hand. yuck.)
Idk how I'll wash the carpet. And Idk if the vet is good enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts