Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on here in a while.

I lost Mocha this week to what was diagnosed as a pituitary tumor. The vet thought it was kindest to put her to sleep because she had become so disoriented and sick, and was experiencing pain (all this went off like a gunshot; everything turned for the worse in about four days). I'm still struggling to cope with not having her anymore, but then there's her sister, who's having a hard time, too.

Loulou is avoiding their hammock and cube and is sleeping solo in their oatmeal tube in a nest of paper towels. When I go to get her out she's not always coming to the door anymore, sometimes she just looks at me and stays in there, and this is very bizarre for her, because she's always been my outgoing, energetic one.

When Mocha was sick, she spent a lot of time sleeping with her and in those last two weeks I think they became even closer than they'd been previously. Now she doesn't have anyone to sleep with and I can see the difference in her.

Is there any best way to comfort a grieving rat that has no companion to cuddle? I'm giving her all the attention and kisses that I can, but at the end of the day she's still sleeping alone and it's heartbreaking to see. She's a little over 2 years old and is looking as good as ever, but I don't want to put her through introductions again. I'm just not sure how else I can help her.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Your pretty much doing what you can. A new friend might help, perhaps there's a nice older lady rat at a local shelter or rescue that wouldn't be too hard to introduce to her... But you would have to be very careful to pick the right rat, not all older female rats play nice. You would really need to know the new rats history and find a shelter that's run by someone who can be genuinely helpful in picking the rat you need. There aren't many like that out there.

Best luck.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Honestly i would get her 2 baby playthings. Intros might sound hard on her but often babies to oldies is very simple and really lovely to watch. Ive had old men and ladies deep in greif come out of there shells and start skipping around like babies (for short bursts lol).

·
Registered
335 Posts
That's true what Isamurat said, plus then when the time comes in another year or so when your older girl passes, you'll still have the two younger, bonded pair. That would be better than getting a single and having to go thru this all over again.

·
Registered
952 Posts
If you really dont want to get two more try a sock buddy. It works for Shakespeare who is **** bent on distroying any rat that comes near him. He carries it around and curls up next to it. Its just an old pair of my socks folded together. When we lost Bean, Dean, and Spock, Kaboose looked at me like the angel of death. He was so sad. Sleeping all the time, fighting with Marlowe, ignoring me. After we got Adonis and JJ he perked right up. Having the babies really helped him come out of his shell and he took the roll of Alpha male well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts