Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First I'll tell you a bit about my situation. I have a male rat (Don't worry I have more than one, he is just the focus of this question) named Shawn who has either a cyst or an abscess. Once I noticed it, I began monitoring him more closely than I normally do. He was behaving normally for about a week after I noticed it. Eating, playing, and drinking as he normally did. But the past 2 days he's been acting very lethargic. Only getting up to eat or drink (I've been offering him water as well, just in case he can't make it to one of the water bottles). I already called my vet as soon as I noticed it, but they can't get me in until Monday afternoon. So I'm just wondering how I could keep him comfortable until then? Its going to be one long weekend until we do, and I'm just very worried about him.
In addition to offering him water, I've added extra fleece/fluff to his favorite house where he has been spending most of his time. I'm also considering giving him some banana or boiled egg, just so he has something softer to eat.
If anybody has any suggestions on how to keep him more comfortable, that would be great.

Thanks for reading,
-Mariah

·
Registered
153 Posts
Maybe you could try a warm compress on the lump?
Oh and for something soft to eat maybe make him some oatmeal with banana in it, ratties love that.
I'm not really sure what else there is to do, I haven't had something like this happen yet.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If he's in pain give him a bit of baby ibuprofen, is he squinting his eyes and his fur fluffed up?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was doing a warm compress when I first noticed the lump, but even doing it until he just couldn't stand it anymore didn't really yield any results. I made some oatmeal banana treats that all my rats love, and I'm going to give him some once they cool off. I'll try the baby ibuprofen, his fur isn't fluffed up, but he is squinting a little every now and then.
I just feel horrible that he as to wait for the vet until Monday.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Poor little guy. If he's resting comfortably and your giving him food and water, I'm not sure what else you can do. If the area is abscessed, I'd wash and keep it clean. If the skin is closed, there's not much to do. The only thing I would suggest is to separate him if the other ratties are taxing him while he's trying to rest.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately my sweet little Shawn passed away in his sleep. I had been giving him ibuprofen, so hopefully he wasn't in pain.
I just wish my vet had picked any other weekend to be away.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thank you for your response. Unfortunately my sweet little Shawn passed away in his sleep. I had been giving him ibuprofen, so hopefully he wasn't in pain.
I just wish my vet had picked any other weekend to be away.
I am SO sorry for your loss. That is very sad. You did what you could and I'm sure the ibuprofen helped him. I'm sorry again :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I still feel guilty that the vet couldn't see him. His sickness just happened incredibly fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts