Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one lazy boy and one very active boy. Their cage is open for a bit on a morning and both boys come out for over an hour on an evening for free time. My active boy Remus has just discovered he can get under my jumper and in my pockets haha. They give me those cute eyes when they go back home on a night so I'm trying to find them interesting things I can put in their cage to keep them stimulated until bed time. Last night I got a box and filled with tissue paper, cardboard tubes and their cat balls. They absolutely loved climbing in and dragging everything out. Anyone have similar ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Top tip is to scatter feed in a decent amount of loose substrate like chopped card. This is a very natural behaviour letting them forage for there food.

I'd also check out some of the parrot foraging toys, these can be challenging but are very good for keeping them occupied working for there dinner. A digging box or hiding food in scrunched up paper also works well.

I'd also invest in a wheel if your lads are young, most boys take to it though are rarely obsessive like some girls.

Can you get a photo of your cage set up? There may be a few other options if you can show us what your doing

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Isamurat. They have a wheel but are yet to use it, any tips to encourage them onto it? I'll get a photo of our cage this evening.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok here we go! There's 2 full length floors and 2 half platforms. The very top platform they like to sleep on, so they have their favourite hide, a litter tray and a hammock attached to the very top. Lots of rope things to climb on and across. Second floor - there's the wheel that I need to get them to use (tips?!) with plenty of room for adding bits. Third platform - a litter box and a cosy hide. Not really too much room here but I'm open to suggestions. And finally bottom floor - currently where we put their food although we switch it every now and then to keep them on their toes haha. There's quite a bit of space to play with here. We haven't really got anything down there. I'm really in need of ideas for little things they can do that keeps them thinking! Especially when I close their door and they try to guilt me into letting them out again haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How about a digging box or using a loose substrate to give them chances to dig. Actually have a ready of this site, there's photos as well http://www.isamurats.co.uk/cage-enrichment.html
Very very helpful! I gave them a go with a mini digging box last week during free time and they fell asleep in it haha. Lots of ideas to try for the bottom floor of their cage here though. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
366 Posts
With the looks of that cage, they have a lot of stuff to do already. I actually got tired of my two turning boxes over that I had put in as huts. I filled one with shredded paper and you would have thought I gave them some kind of major gift. They dug in it, slept in it, and wrestled in it. I just bought one of those cat toys with the rod that has a jingly toy at the end of a string. One was amused by it and the other was a little leery.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I gave the stringed up veggies a try after play time tonight. Safe to say it's a hit with my boys!
Yayyyy! I am so glad it worked out. My crew loves stringed veggies. If you haven't given the toilet roll pinata a try, I highly recommend it. Very easy to make and another favorite of my boys. I save all my toilet rolls and if I am out of the house for a while, I make them in advance and toss them in the cage to provide some entertainment/noms when I am gone. Works wonderfully!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you haven't given the toilet roll pinata a try, I highly recommend it. Very easy to make and another favorite of my boys. I save all my toilet rolls and if I am out of the house for a while, I make them in advance and toss them in the cage to provide some entertainment/noms when I am gone. Works wonderfully!
That's my next task ;) We have gerbils too so they get the first claim of most tubes. Planning to divert a couple once we have them!

With the looks of that cage, they have a lot of stuff to do already. I actually got tired of my two turning boxes over that I had put in as huts. I filled one with shredded paper and you would have thought I gave them some kind of major gift. They dug in it, slept in it, and wrestled in it. I just bought one of those cat toys with the rod that has a jingly toy at the end of a string. One was amused by it and the other was a little leery.
They have just discovered the joys of boxes. We have medium sized box full of scrunch up paper, bits of tissue and jiggly balls and they love pulling stuff out to make beds with!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts