Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 weeks ago I noticed my males had lice and had them pretty badly and I ended up ordering Revolution from Australia. Since the shipping took so long I went ahead and gave my boys an olive oil bath and left it on their skin/fur until they had cleaned it all off themselves. That helped a lot and I thought it would at least hold them over until the Revolution came.

I got the Revolution in the mail yesterday and I checked my boys before giving it to them and saw neither of them have any signs of lice anymore. My females never showed signs of lice either and still look fine. I'm not sure if this means that the olive oil managed to wipe out all of the lice on it's own and I am not sure if I should still give everyone the Revolution. I would feel dumb wasting it since I would have to treat 7 rats and it is a little bit expensive. Can I just keep an eye on them all and hold off giving medication until/if I notice the lice come back on any of them? Can I save Revolution for later use or does it go bad? I worked really hard to keep cages, the surrounding area, and the carpet really clean and well vacuumed while I was waiting for the medication to get here so do you think it is possible that I actually managed to get rid of all of the lice and stop them from spreading to my girls without using any sort of medication? It seems too good to be true!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would absolutely give them the medicine. Take this from someone who battled lice for months when my little brother never showed any signs of having them and kept giving them to me. It was the most miserable experience I can think of. I still panic every time my head itches in a weird way. I would dose each of them and follow the directions exactly. If it says to do a second dose, then do it. It would be better to be safe than sorry when it comes to things like this...

·
Registered
870 Posts
I agree. Give them the Revolution now, then when the eggs hatch they will be protected. Revolution is long acting to kill the lice now and the next batch when the eggs hatch.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, thanks for the recommendations :) can someone tell me how many drops to put on my rats? I have 2 males and 5 females, and have a scale of I need to weigh them. I've read conflicting information to treat them with anywhere from 1-3 drops per rat and I don't know what is correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts