Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. I was in contact with a man who is a breeder in NC but the last several weeks he has seem to have backed out. His site does not have all of the males/females pictures, nor pedigrees. He also does not have a contract or adoption agreement; just requires them to be sold in same-sex pairs. Seems kinda shady to me looking back on it altho at the time I somehow didnt see it.

My question now is.. how do I go about finding a breeder in the NC area? I really dont want to get anymore babies from the Petstores as almost all of them have had health issues. I found one breeder on ratster.homestead.com but it says on her "available" page I believe, that she is no longer breeding due to her having a baby.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I just type into google (when i want to find a breeder)

Rats breeder -insert location-

then it usually helps u in the right direction - theres always the yellow pages or asking your local petstore about the breeders they get rats of off
Jess x

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We do rescue rats on occasion. Our last was Dumbo who was kept in a small 10gal aquarium & cedar shavings. The previous rescue was Ben who was an older albino with severe pnemonia (sp) and exactly one month after we got him, he passed away after battling it.

We would like to find a breeder to add a couple 'brothers' and 'sisters' for 'Critter' (our girl) and hopefully 'Dumbo' as well. [Yes, the the boys and girls we currently have are house apart]

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Leala said:
I don't mean to be a bother but a ten gallon aquarium and cedar shavings? That's just asking for trouble.
You misread her post... they rescued a dumbo who WAS kept that way... I doubt she was keeping him that way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dumbo is def. NOT still on the cedar shavings or in an aquarium. Infact, he now lives in a 3 level cage and is taken out whenever we're home. Hes a sweet boy and Id like to get some friends for him as I think he might like the company.
Our other boy, Chong doesnt like the idea of company at all however. We tried getting him a friend and after the isolation & introducing them thru 2 separate cages AND letting them meet in a neutral place, Chong automatically bit the baby, drawing blood. 8O

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm happy to hear that Dumbo is well taken care of and I'm VERY sorry about the misunderstanding earlier >_<. Silly me.
As for Chong's fairly violent behavior maybe you could have him neutered. That usually helps a lot. He's probably just territorial so I would suggest neutering to fix that. After he heals up try introductions again, you will probably get a better response. If that's not an option then maybe he'll just have to live alone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, we've considered the neutering option but didnt know if it'd be too much on a rat thats already about a year old. We have a vet appt Wed for our Hedgehog so we'll bring it up again then and see what our vet thinks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's probably the best idea. Consult your vet and they will decide if it will be too much for your little rattie or no =)
Best of luck to you though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts