Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest girl was a pet store rat who has had on and off URI's for a very long time. I took her to a vet who only treats birds and exotics (including rodents). he said her URI looks minor but has been with her for a long time. apparently her old vet was giving her enough meds to mask the symptoms and fight it a bit, but not enough to cure it. this vet gave me a nebulizer, and a bottle of amoxicillin.

i nebulized her for the first time tonight. i put her head in the little mask and she fought a bit but she should have gotten most of it. i had to really hold her tight a few times though. i was wondering if anyone here has any tricks to make this easier. i want her to get all of the medicine but i hate having to hold her so firmly.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I have to give a couple of my chronics an inhaler at times. I get an airtight plastic box, puff it in and then close it for them to breathe in the puff (usually around 5 mins).

Maybe something similar could help you? Can you get the neb. hose into a box and treat her like that?

Edit: I should have said that the reccommended box size I was given was shoe box sized

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm well i have a plastic box thats a pretty good size i think. i bet it would be pretty air tight for the few minutes shes in it. thanks!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
They shouldn't for the small amount of time that you leave them in for. Mine are usually in for 5 mins max at one time - that's why a good sized box is crucial.

That's what I've been told anyway - I've never had a problem with it.

You should, of course, observe them during their time in the box

Edit: Thinking about it - it wouldn't hurt having a small form of circulation within the box for the neb. You don't want too much of a free-flow though. The point of the box would be to keep the meds in to be inhaled, not to disperse into air outside the box

1 - 5 of 5 Posts